Aces edge Broncos
Laredo, Texas - July 29, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces held off a late-inning rally as they beat the Laredo Broncos 6-5 Tuesday at Veterans Field. With the Aces leading 6-3 entering the bottom of the ninth, Aces closer Wayne Hedden came in for his league-leading 13th save. Having given up nine runs in his first two outings of the series, the Broncos were primed for a comeback. Ben Tinius led off with a single to center and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Two batters later, Sean Gamble moved Tinius to third with a single to left. A wild pitch by Hedden allowed Tinius to score and move Gamble to second. After Ivan Reyes grounded out, the Broncos were down to their last out with the tying run at the plate. Luany Sanchez singled home Sean Gamble bringing Laredo within one. After Edgard Clemente singled, the tying run was on second and the winning run was on first. Hedden got the last out when Dwyane White grounded out to short to end the game. With Laredo leading 3-1 in the sixth, the Aces came back to tie the game. With one out, Jose Umbria singled up the middle. After Madison Edwards walked, Homy Ovalles singled to right driving home Umbria. Eddie Fitzpatrick followed with a double down the line in right to plate Ovalles and tie the game 3-3. The Aces took the lead in the seventh. Bryan Sabatella started things off with a single to left. Sabatella scored from first when Rafael Ozuna doubled to right. After Umbira sacrificed Ozuna to third, Edwards singled home Ozuna to give the Aces a two-run lead. Ovalles ended the scoring with an RBI triple to right, with Edwards' run giving the Aces a 6-3 lead. Reliever Ronald Ramirez earned his first win of the year pitching two perfect innings and striking out two. The Aces will come home to Alexandria to play the Amarillo Dillas for a three-game series starting Wednesday. Game time is 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 29, 2008
- Coyotes Sweep Double Dip - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Aces edge Broncos - Alexandria Aces
- Nunez Powers Coyotes Past Dillas - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Five alive for Colts over 'Wings - San Angelo Colts
- Broncos Rally Late but Fall Short in Series Finale Against Aces - Laredo Broncos
- Colts Put Away WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Colts have a winning case of the Mondays - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th