A B-And-C Win: Baez, Chisholm Pull Generals Past Tennessee, 3-0
Kodak, Tenn. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, pulled even with the Tennessee Smokies in the SL North on Sunday, downing the home team in a 3-0 series finale victory. The matinee triumph at Smokies Stadium evened the season series between Tennessee (15-14) and Jackson (15-14) at five games apiece.
In his Double-A debut, right-hander Kevin McCanna (1-0, 0.00 ERA) weathered a two-on, nobody-out situation in the top of the first when Jared Young lined out to Jazz Chisholm, with the young shortstop relaying quickly to Andy Young at second base to double-off a Smokies baserunner. McCanna's comfort level climbed throughout the afternoon, as he retired 14 of the last 16 men he faced, allowing a lone hit to PJ Higgins on a fourth-inning single. The 25-year-old finished with a flourish, striking out the side in the fifth to finish his day with five punchouts, two walks, and no runs allowed to a Tennessee lineup that entered the afternoon with a league-leading .728 on-base-plus-slugging mark.
Behind McCanna, Tyler Mark earned his second hold of the year with a solid sixth inning. Mark faced two batters in the seventh, both of whom reached base before Generals manager Blake Lalli turned to Michael Kohn. The veteran right-hander sat down the next three men in a row to skirt trouble, and he stranded a two-out double in the eighth as well, earning a hold for his work. Kevin Ginkel (S, 3) quieted the Smokies in the ninth to help the Generals win their second game in the series.
Offensively, Jackson didn't break through against Tennessee's Oscar De La Cruz (0-1, 1.80 ERA) until the fifth, when a lead-off walk to Drew Ellis and a sacrifice by McCanna gave the Generals a man in scoring position with two down. Jeffrey Baez mashed a single into center field that allowed Ellis to come around and break the scoreless tie, and one inning later, Jackson's Jazz Chisholm once again played the highest note. Chisholm's one-out solo homer to the berm in right-center field was his fourth dinger in three days, improving his league-leading total to nine. Baez and Chisholm each drove in runs for the second day in a row, but this time, the Generals had enough to get by, holding on to win with fewer than four runs for just the fourth time this season.
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
6:05 pm CT Monday (5/5) vs Birmingham Barons
The Ballpark at Jackson - Jackson, TN
RHP Riley Smith (1-2, 3.92 ERA) vs. LHP Kyle Kubat (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Broadcast Link: Jackson Generals Baseball Network
UP AND COMING AT
Generals vs. Birmingham Barons
(AA, Chicago White Sox)
"All We Do Is Win" Night
(Friday, May 10)!
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
Images from this story
Jackson Generals infielder Jazz Chisholm
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 5, 2019
- Robert Shines in Barons Loss to Lookouts - Birmingham Barons
- Lookouts Save the Best for Last - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Blue Wahoos Win Sixth Straight Series with 9-2 Win over Biloxi - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Bid Adieu to BayBears, 4-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- A B-And-C Win: Baez, Chisholm Pull Generals Past Tennessee, 3-0 - Jackson Generals
- M-Braves Go 10 Innings to Complete Sweep of J-Ville - Mississippi Braves
- M-Braves Walk-Off Shrimp 1-0 in 10 Innings - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Shuckers Fall in Rubber Match against Blue Wahoos 9-2 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Shut out in Sunday Finale - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Gameday May 5 at Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, May 5 at Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Wahoos Set Season High for Runs for Second Straight Night in 11-2 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Consistent Offense from Pensacola Downs Biloxi 11-2 - Biloxi Shuckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season
- Snoop Dogg and Twista Concert Postponed
- A June Update from the Jackson Generals
- Baseball Is Back: the Ballpark at Jackson to Host High School Baseball Tournaments
- Southern League Announces Cancelation of 2020 All-Star Events in Jackson