67's Add Two New Players to the Roster Through 2020 CHL Import Draft
OTTAWA - The Ottawa 67's family grew by two on Tuesday as the club added a pair of forwards through the 2020 CHL Import Draft.
Ottawa held the 57th and 117th selections in this year's draft, selecting Russian centreman Vsevolod Gaidamak and Finnish winger Kasper Simontaival.
With two picks during the draft, Ottawa had the chance to build for the future, with the potential departures of their current pair of import players, Nikita Okhotyuk and Marco Rossi.
Below are all the details on the two players that the Ottawa 67's selected on Tuesday:
1st round pick - 57th Overall: Vsevolod Gaidamak (C - Spartak St.Petersburg U-17)
With the 57th overall pick of the 2020 CHL Import Draft, the 67's selected Russian centreman Vsevolod Gaidamak. The Kabarovsk, Russia native played with the Spartak St. Petersburg U-17 program last year, piling up 12 goals and 12 assists for 24 points in 15 games, on top of playing in a total of 16 games with the Russian under-17 National Team, collecting 15 points. Standing at six-feet and 187 pounds, Gaidamak should fit in nicely at the centre ice position as soon as next year with the Barber Poles. He is described as a big centre with a good hockey IQ. He was a top player for Russia at the U17 tournament in Swift Current and Medicine Hat this past fall, where 67's GM James Boyd had the chance to see him play in person.
2nd round pick - 117th Overall: Kasper Simontaival (RW - Tappara U-20)
With their second pick in the draft, the 67's selected Finnish right winger Kasper Simontaival. The 18-year old 5-foot-9, 172 pound forward is ranked as the 21st best European skater available for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. Simontaival played last season with Tappara's U-20 team, putting up 25 goals and 32 assists for 57 points in 48 games, on top of a very impressive 14 points in eight games at the under-18 Championships for Team Finland.
"With these two players, we believe that we can add a big, strong centre with great vision and playmaking abilities in Vsevolod Gaidamak and a workhorse of a player with a well-rounded game and knack around the net in Kasper Simontaival. Myself, Coach Tourigny and the rest of the staff are big fans of both players as they possess our team DNA. We are excited and look forward to educating them on the Ottawa 67's organization," said 67's General Manager, James Boyd.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 30, 2020
- Barrie Colts Welcome Two New Additions After the 2020 CHL Import Draft - Barrie Colts
- 66 players selected in 2020 CHL Import Draft - OHL
- Troops Make Petrov Top Pick - North Bay Battalion
- Windsor Spitfires Acquire Michael Renwick from the Hamilton Bulldogs - Windsor Spitfires
- Bulldogs Acquire Draft Choices from Spitfires for Renwick - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Spirit Store Re-Opening July 1st - Saginaw Spirit
- Otters Pick Two in CHL Import Draft - Erie Otters
- Spirit Select Defenseman Pavel Mintyukov and Forward Albin Grewe in the 2020 CHL Import Draft - Saginaw Spirit
- 67's Add Two New Players to the Roster Through 2020 CHL Import Draft - Ottawa 67's
- Wolves Select Forwards in CHL Import Draft - Sudbury Wolves
- OHL Clubs Select 23 Players in 2020 CHL Import Draft - OHL
- Sting Select Slovakian Forward Alex Geci in 2020 CHL Import Draft - Sarnia Sting
- Petes Select Brian Zanetti and Kaspars Ziemins in CHL Import Draft - Peterborough Petes
- Attack Take Delemont in Import Draft - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Select Kasper Larsen in 2020 Import Draft - Mississauga Steelheads
- Bulldogs Select Artyom Grushnikov in CHL Import Draft - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers Select Goaltender in CHL Import Draft - Kitchener Rangers
- Windsor Spitfires Select Daniil Sobolev with 40th Overall Pick in the CHL Import Draft - Windsor Spitfires
- Generals Select David Mudrak in the 2020 CHL Import Draft - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Select Belarus Native Dmitry Kuzmin in CHL Import Draft - Flint Firebirds
- 2020 CHL Import Draft Set for Today - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa 67's Stories
- 67's Add Two New Players to the Roster Through 2020 CHL Import Draft
- 67's Acquire Steven LaForme from North Bay Battalion
- 67's Noel Hoefenmayer Earns CHL Defenceman of the Year Award
- 67's Tourigny Honoured as the CHL's Coach of the Year
- Six Members of the 67's Selected to OHL Year-End All-Star Teams