2018-19 Regular Season Schedule Announced
Big news has already sparked excitement around the GTA this summer after the announcement of a five-year renewal of OHL Hockey in Mississauga. The Steelheads are thrilled to stay put where OHL hockey has lived for the last 20 years.
After claiming the Bobby Orr Trophy as Eastern Conference Champions in 2017, the Steelheads are returning to a hopeful 2018-19 season on and off the ice. Owner Elliott Kerr knows Mississauga is a great hockey market, and is continuing with great stride towards building the brand of the Mississauga Steelheads.
Today, the Ontario Hockey League officially released the 2018-19 regular season schedule. For the second straight season, the schedule includes 681 games due to another interleague series between the Ottawa 67's and the QMJHL's Gatineau Olympiques. The teams will play their home-and-home series on Friday December 7 in Gatineau and Saturday December 8 in Ottawa.
The Steelheads will begin the regular season on the road in Ottawa on Friday September 21 at 7:00 PM. Returning home that weekend, the Steelheads will play their home opener against the Niagara IceDogs on Sunday September 23rd at 2:00 PM.
Some events to look forward to this season are two school day games with 11:00 AM puck drops. The first will be against the Guelph Storm on Wednesday November 14th and the second on Wednesday February 27th against the Kingston Frontenacs. Mark your calendar for Family Day (Monday February 18) as well when the London Knights roll into Mississauga for a 2:00 PM puck drop.
The busiest day on the OHL calendar this season is Friday December 27 when the league resumes play following the holiday break and features all 20 teams in action. The schedule also includes eight days where nine games will be played including Friday October 12, Saturday November 10, Friday November 23, Friday December 14, Sunday January 6, Friday February 1, Saturday February 2, and most notably Monday February 18 with nine matinee matchups to celebrate Ontario's Family Day.
The regular season wraps up on Sunday March 17 with six games scheduled before the top eight teams in each conference will compete for the J. Ross Robertson Cup in the 2019 OHL Playoffs.
Divisional alignment remains the same for 2018-19 with the same 68-game unbalanced schedule. Teams continue to play out of conference opponents a minimum of two times (one home, one away) while the majority of teams play interconference teams a minimum of four times including two games at home and two on the road. Interdivisional teams will play each other up to six times and in a number of cases, closest rivals will play each other up to eight times.
The OHL continues the tradition of being primarily a weekend league in order to accommodate the student athlete with over 87% (597) games scheduled between Thursday and Sunday. Friday continues to be the busiest night during the season with 191 games scheduled, followed by 165 on Saturdays, and 143 on Sundays.
The full Steelheads 2018-19 regular season schedule can be viewed here. Catch the action all season long for as low as $485.
Don't forget, the 2018 exhibition schedule has also been announced. The Steelheads kick off the four schedule preseason games on Friday August 21 at home against the Oshawa Generals at 7:00 PM. The Steelheads will close out the exhibition series on Saturday September 15 in Oshawa for a 7:05 PM puck drop. Tickets for the two home games will be available for purchase at the door on each game day.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 12, 2018
- Oulahen Named to Canada's National Summer Under-18 Team Coaching Staff - Flint Firebirds
- Piercey Commits to the Colts - Barrie Colts
- London Knights Announce 2018-2019 Schedule - London Knights
- Battalion Releases Schedule - North Bay Battalion
- Full 2018-19 Sting Schedule Released - Sarnia Sting
- Alumni Profile: David Ling - Kingston Frontenacs
- 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule Announced - Mississauga Steelheads
- Battalion Releases Schedule - North Bay Battalion
- 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule Released - Oshawa Generals
- Full 2018-19 Schedule Announced - Flint Firebirds
- Full 2018-19 Schedule Announced - Owen Sound Attack
- 2018-19 Official Schedule Released - Soo Greyhounds
- 67's Announce 2018-2019 Season Schedule - Ottawa 67's
- Kitchener Rangers Announce 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule - Kitchener Rangers
- Full 2018-19 Petes Regular Season Schedule Released - Peterborough Petes
- Otters, OHL Release 2018-19 Season Schedule - Erie Otters
- 2018-19 Sudbury Wolves Schedule Released - Sudbury Wolves
- Full 2018-19 Schedule Announced - Windsor Spitfires
- Spirit Announce 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule - Saginaw Spirit
- 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule Released - Guelph Storm
- 2018-19 Niagara IceDogs Regular Season Schedule Announced - Niagara IceDogs
- OHL Announces 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga Steelheads Stories
- Ethan Del Mastro Commits to Steelheads
- Steelheads Announce 2019 Prospect Camp
- 7 Steelheads Prospects Named to OHL Gold Cup Rosters
- 2019 OHL U18 Draft Results: Steelheads Select 2 Forwards, 1 Goaltender
- Steelheads Select Fourteen Players in 2019 OHL Priority Selection