14 Local Schools Read for Over 145,000 minutes
DUNEDIN-FL- 14 local elementary schools participated in the seventh annual Dunedin Blue Jays 'Bookin' It To The Ballpark' Reading Program sponsored by TD Bank in 2017. Recognizing literacy as a key skill necessary for academic achievement, the Blue Jays have encouraged and rewarded local students for reading with their annual reading program since 2011. This year, nearly five hundred elementary school students across Pinellas County combined to read for 146,035 minutes during the six-week program. In hours, those totals would equal 2,434 hours of reading, or over 101 full days spent reading by local students.
Participating students tracked their reading on baseball-themed bookmarks provided by the Blue Jays, advancing around the bases of a baseball diamond as they read outside of class to score runs for their class. Students who scored two runs for the class by reading 20 minutes at home eight times were rewarded with a ticket voucher to attend a Dunedin Blue Jays game. The class with the most runs scored at the conclusion of the program in each school won a pizza party provided by Jet's Pizza, and Dunedin Blue Jays players and mascot DJay visited participating schools during the program to read with and encourage students.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 5, 2017
- Clarkin, Hissong Lead Tampa in 6-0 Win Over - Tampa Yankees
- Mets Hold on for 1-0 Win over Fire Frogs - St. Lucie Mets
- Flying Tigers Gerson Moreno and Arvicent Perez Added to Florida State - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Bradenton and Lakeland Postponed - Bradenton Marauders
- Aint No LaValley Low Enough - Daytona Tortugas
- Gavin LaValley Added to FSL All-Star Team - Daytona Tortugas
- 14 Local Schools Read for Over 145,000 minutes - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Long Sheds Blue Jays, 6-5 - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dunedin Blue Jays Stories
- Warmoth Knocks 4 Hits, Castillo Takes Batting Title Lead in 9-3 Win
- Connor Eller Receives Blue Jays Community Service Award
- Orozco Takes Batting Title Lead in 8-1 Win over Daytona
- Dunedin Splits Doubleheader with Palm Beach
- Patrick Murphy Named Florida State League Pitcher of the Year