Hagerstown Wins Second in a Row over Rome
Rome, GA - The Rome Braves fell to the Hagerstown Suns Tuesday morning 11-5 before a crowd of 3,220 on Education Day at State Mutual Stadium. Rome's record now stands at 9-17.
The first run of the game came in the third inning when Hagerstown scored once on a sacrifice fly by Steven Souza to score Francisco Soriano. Rome came back in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game at 1-1 on a sacrifice fly from Cory Harrilchak to plate Mycal Jones.
Both teams were held scoreless until the eighth when the Suns bats broke out for four runs. Eury Perez scored on a sacrifice fly by Sean Nicol followed by an RBI triple from Souza to plate Nicol. Souza was later brought home on a Justin Bloxom double. Bloxom would score during the next at bat on a throwing error after stealing third for the 5-1 lead.
Rome chipped away at the lead in the bottom half of the inning. Jordan Schafer had an RBI single to score Chris Lovett, then a sacrifice fly by Robert Hefflinger to plate Jones for the 5-3 score.
The Suns exploded in the ninth with six insurance runs on four hits for an 11-3 lead. The Braves managed two runs in the bottom half of the inning for the 11-5 final. Derek Wiley doubled to left scoring Christian Bethancourt for the first run followed by an RBI single from Lovett to score Wiley.
Mitchell Clegg (3-0) earns the win for Hagerstown while Cory Rasmus (1-1) picks up the loss for Rome.
Rome takes on Hagerstown again tomorrow at 7 PM. For ticket information, contact the Rome Braves at 706-378-5144 or log onto www.romebraves.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 4, 2010
- Santana's Walk-Off Homer in 13th Punctuates 'Dads Eighth Straight Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Top Legends, 8-1 - Lexington Legends
- Power Shut Out Greensboro, 5-0 - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Double Charleston, 6-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Intimidators Take Win Streak to Four - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Swept by GreenJackets in Pitchers' Duel Doubleheader - Greenville Drive
- Salsbury One-Hitter Highlights Twinbill Sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- Lakewood Muzzles Charleston, Evens Series, 6-3 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gnats Game Wrap: Gnats Blow Out Birds 12-4 Tuesday Morning - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Crawdads Weekly - First-Place 'Dads Riding A Season-High Seven-Game Winning Streak - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Rally Late To Defeat Rome 11-5 - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Wins Second in a Row over Rome - Rome Braves
- Shorebirds Drop 12-4 Decision On Tuesday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- BlueClaws To Host Sports Networking Event June 17th - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Gnats Game Notes - Savannah Sand Gnats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.