Reno Rallies to Beat OmahaMay 9, 2013 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Omaha Storm Chasers
Zeke Spruill of the Aces worked seven solid innings in his second Triple-A start but did not figure in the decision after yielding three runs on seven hits and leaving with a 5-3 lead. Eury De La Rosa took over to begin the eighth but did not record an out, as he gave up a pair of hits and issued a walk before departing and being replaced by Warner Madrigal. The veteran righty, who was injured and did not pitch last year, struck out Irving Falu and Brett Hayes with the bases loaded but was burned by Willy Taveras, who singled home Xavier Nady and pinch-runner Paulo Orlando to get the game even.
Dan Wheeler assumed the hill in the home half but found immediate trouble after a leadoff single by Juan Rivera that was followed by an Alfredo Marte double. One out later, Ed Easley was intentionally passed to fill the sacks and left-hander Donnie Joseph was called on to face the lefty-swinging Eaton, who is with the Aces on a major league rehab assignment. Last year's Pacific Coast League batting champ and MVP drew a free pass on five pitches to push pinch-runner Tony Campana across with the decisive run before Chris Owings singled home Marte to provide a two-run cushion for Madrigal, who worked around a leadoff walk in the ninth to preserve the victory and pick up his first win of the season.
Anthony Seratelli scored the game's first run in the second inning on a fielding error by Matt Davidson. However, the Reno third baseman made up for it in the third with a two-out triple that chased home former Omaha first baseman/designated hitter Kila Ka'aihue to knot the score at one.
Easley led off the home fifth with a walk before Omaha starter Nate Adcock hit Eaton, apparently in retaliation for an aggressive slide earlier in the game, and was then ejected along with manager Mike Jirschele, who argued vociferously, to no avail, in support of his right-hander. George Sherrill came on in relief and was greeted by an Owings double that scored both runners to put the hosts in the lead for the first time. Owings would steal third and score on a deep fly ball by Brad Snyder to complete the three-run rally for the Aces, who won for just the fifth time in 17 home games.
The visitors drew within 4-3 in the sixth on Falu's two-out, two-run single but Reno got one of the runs back in the next inning on Ka'aihue's seventh home run of the year, the first earned run allowed this year by Storm Chasers hurler Blaine Boyer.
The series continues with a twin bill on Thursday as Omaha will send southpaw Justin Marks to the hill in game one and an as yet to be determined starter for the second contest while Reno will counter with right-hander Chase Anderson in the first game and righty Garrett Mock in the nightcap. Coverage of the doubleheader gets underway at 5:40 pm and can be heard locally on 1180 Zone 2 The Deuce and online at omahastormchasers.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 9, 2013
- Sounds Tame Grizzlies, 11-7 - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Splits Doubleheader with Omaha - Reno Aces
- Zephyrs Slowed by Salt Lake - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sacramento Capitalizes on Early Lead, Wins 5-3 - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Fall To RedHawks, 3-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Win 10th-Straight Home Game, 3-1 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Green Helps Cats Snap Skid with 5-3 Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Tucson Padres Teacher Appreciation Nights Friday and Saturday - Tucson Padres
- Volstad Leads Sky Sox over I-Cubs, 5-1 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- RedHawks Game Notes: May 9, 2013 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- RHP Colby Lewis to Begin Rehab Assignment with Express; OF Hirotoshi Onaka Added to Roster - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Activate Brett Jackson - Iowa Cubs
- Bob Dylan Americanarama Festival of Music Scheduled for July 2 at AutoZone Park - Memphis Redbirds
- Storm Chasers Introduce "Ticket Replay" in Response to Early Weather Issues - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Reno Rallies to Beat Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tucson Takes Second Straight from Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Rebounds with 9-5 Win over 51's - Round Rock Express
- Padres Win to Get within One of First - Tucson Padres
- Aces Take 7-5 Victory over Storm Chasers - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.