Nelson's Big Day Not Enough to Beat IsotopesApril 5, 2013 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - Iowa Cubs Press Release
The Cubs claimed the early lead against 'Topes' starter Matt Magill, who was making his triple-A debut. A single and a pair of walks loaded the bases for the Cubs in the top of the first inning. Darnell McDonald cashed in with a two-run single to give the Cubs their first lead of the season. The Cubs added to that lead in the top of the third when Nelson lofted his first homer into the bullpen in left field. It was also his first hit of the season.
Cubs' starter Drew Carpenter started strong, but ran into some control problems in the bottom of the third. Matt Wallach led off the inning with a double, but was still at second with two outs when Carpenter walked three straight batters to force in a run. He got out of the inning, bounced back with a perfect fourth, but couldn't get through the fifth. Relief pItcher Steve Ames led off the 'Topes big inning with a single and advanced to third on a base hit by Dee Gordon. After Gordon stole second, Elian Herrera delivered a base hit to drive in two and tie the game. Alex Castellanos followed with a two-run homer to left that gave the 'Topes their first lead at 5-3 and knocked Carpenter out of the game.
Jaye Chapman came in and allowed the final two runs of the inning on three hits. Rusty Ryal had an RBI triple and Tony Gwynn, Jr. added an RBI double. The 'Topes added an insurance run on an RBI double by Matt Angle off Cory Wade in the sixth before the Cubs rallied back in the top of the seventh.
Logan Watkins led off with a triple for his third hit of the game. He also walked twice today, reaching base safely in all five of his trips to the plate. After a popout, Brian Bogusevic brought in Watkins with an infield hit and Nelson crushed a Peter Moylan pitch onto the berm in right-center for his second homer of the day. The Cubs were within two at 8-6, but wouldn't get another hit the rest of the game.
With the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Blake Parker came in for Wade and struck out Herrera on three pitches to end another 'Topes threat, but gave up Albuquerque's final two runs when he came back out in the eighth. Angle recorded his second RBI double and scored on a base hit by Gwynn.
Shawn Tolleson finished the final two innings on the mound for Albuquerque and earned his first save of the season. Ames (1-0), who left the game after hurting himself on a swing in his second at-bat of the fifth inning, was credited with the win. Carpenter (0-1) suffered the loss in his Iowa debut.
The Cubs and Isotopes continue this series tomorrow night at 8:05 Central Time at Isotopes Park. LH Brooks Raley will start for the Cubs against RH Blake Johnson for the 'Topes. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 and streamed at iowacubs.com with the pre-game show starting at 7:45.
Fans are invited to attend Iowa's Open House tomorrow from 10am-2pm at Principal Park. Fans can tour the newly renovated home and visitors' clubhouse and received a free hot dog, chips, and soft drink at the Cub Club. All attendees will also receive a free ticket to a future Iowa Cubs game.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 5, 2013
- RedHawks Split Opening Doubleheader - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Takes Down Storm Chasers 3-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Blanked by New Orleans, 12-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Fall to Sky Sox, 6-2 - Reno Aces
- Z's Silence Sounds 12-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Topes Make It Two Straight vs. Iowa - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nelson's Big Day Not Enough to Beat Isotopes - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express to Wear Throwback Austin Senators Jerseys on Tuesdays - Round Rock Express
- University of Nevada Head Football Coach Brian Polian to Throw out Ceremonial First Pitch Opening Da - Reno Aces
- Green Homers, River Cats Lose Opener To 51s, 10-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Big Innings Sink Cubs in Opener - Iowa Cubs
- Zunino, Hultzen Rocket Rainiers To 9-1 Win Over Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Topes Take out Iowa on Opening Night - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Tucson Drops Season Opener - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.