Aeros Fall to Heat 4-2March 2, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Houston Aeros
Houston opened the scoring at 15:47 of the first period, taking a 1-0 lead in the team's first meeting with Abbotsford since Nov. 25 at Toyota Center. Forward David McIntyre played the puck to defenseman Steven Kampfer, who fired the puck to the Abbotsford net. Goalie Leland Irving made the initial save, but forward Stephane Veilleux poked in the rebound for his second goal of the year. Abbotsford tied the game 1-1 at 17:29 of the first period, as forward Andy Bohmbach tipped a shot past Houston goalie Matt Hackett. Defenseman Chris Breen and forward Max Reinhart each picked up an assist on Bohmbach's first goal of the year.
In the second period, Houston moved in front 2-1 in the last minute of the second period. Justin Fontaine snapped a wrist shot over the shoulder of Irving from just inside the left-wing circle. Fontaine's 14th goal of the season was set up by Johan Larsson and Brian Connelly on the power-play at 19:18.
Abbotsford scored twice in the first 4:18 of the third period to take its first lead of the night. Ben Walter put in a feed from Roman Horak at 3:00, scoring his 11th goal of the season. Right wing Tyler Ruegsegger also assisted on the power-play goal, tying the game 2-2. The Heat moved in front when Walter struck again at 4:18 of the second period. Brett Carson dropped a pass to Walter on the right-wing wall. Walter snapped a wrist shot from the right circle, beating Hackett for his 12th goal of the season and second power-play goal of the evening. Forward Brett Olson scored an empty-net shorthanded goal at 19:30 for the 4-2 final.
Houston plays its second of four straight on the road, concluding a two-game set in Abbotsford on Saturday at 9 p.m. CT. The team will make a stop in Charlotte for two games before returning home on Thursday, Mar. 14 at 7:05 p.m. as Houston hosts Abbotsford at Toyota Center. The game marks a "Thirsty Thursday", where fans may take their ticket stub to The Maple Leaf Pub (Smith and Elgin). The first 500 fans to The Maple Leaf Pub will receive a second drink free with their ticket stub.
Aeros season tickets start as low as $9 per seat and may be purchased online at Aeros.com by placing a $100 deposit. Once your order is processed, an Aeros ticket representative will contact you to choose your exact seat location, as well as discuss the payment options. Information on season tickets and mini-plans is also available on the team website at www.aeros.com. Groups of 15 or more receive a discount on all tickets, to book your group outing to an Aeros game please call 713-974-PUCK (7825).
American Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2013
- Brock Nelson nets game-winner late in regulation, Rick DiPietro makes 22 saves to earn win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Defeat Chicago, 2-1, on Military Appreciation Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Come up Short in Loss to Ads - Rockford IceHogs
- Barons Slip by Stars 5-4 in Shootout - Texas Stars
- PINK IN THE RINK NIGHT A SUCCESS AS FALCONS WIN IN SHOOTOUT - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Fall to Amerks in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Handle Griffins 4-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Give up Four Consecutive Goals in Loss to Peoria - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Start Back-To-Back with Shutout Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
- Johnson's Solid Start Spoiled in Shootout against Sharks - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Get Bulled over by Rampage, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Defeat Rockford 3-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins End Home Stand with Shootout Win over Devils - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- DiPietro Nips Munroe in Bridgeport - Adirondack Phantoms
- Tokarski, Bulldogs Spook Monsters 2-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Albany Devils Fall Late in Shootout - Albany Devils
- Sateri Super with 37 Saves and Shuts Door in Shootout Win - Worcester Sharks
- Bruins Fall to Falcons in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Admirals See Late Lead Vanish in Hershey - Norfolk Admirals
- IceCaps Set Back by Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Stun Admirals with Late Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Jones Ices Caps - Manchester Monarchs
- Toronto Falls 4-2 against Binghamton - Toronto Marlies
- B-Sens Defeat Marlies, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Kings Announce Roster Moves - Manchester Monarchs
- Julseth-White Signed to PTO - Providence Bruins
- Hogs Seek Lucky Number Seven - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #54 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Assign Louis Domingue to Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Aeros Fall to Heat 4-2 - Houston Aeros
- Pirates Go Purple to Face Sharks in Portland - Portland Pirates
- Heat Rally in 4-2 Win over Aeros - Abbotsford Heat
- Rockford Extends Streak to Six, Downs Peoria 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Drop 5-1 Decision to Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Montreal Canadiens Recall Gabriel Dumont - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Power Play Pushes 'Hogs Past Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Holland, McMillan Lead Charge as Admirals Rout Checkers - Norfolk Admirals
- Nyquist's Three-Point Night Lifts Griffins Past Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.