B-Sens Defeat Marlies, 4-2
TORONTO -The Binghamton Senators were in Toronto today to face the Marlies at Ricoh Coliseum. After coming off a 3-2 win against Hamilton yesterday, the B-Sens maintained their momentum defeating the Marlies, 4-2.
Greg McKegg had the game's first goal at 6:47 in the first period, with Jamie Devane and Sam Carrick drawing the assists. The B-Sens fought back as Stephane Da Costa scored his tenth goal of the season with the help of Brett Lebda and Mark Stone at 10:11. Before the period expired, Fredrik Claesson would score his first American Hockey League goal at 18:18 after receiving a pass from Da Costa. Claesson's goal put Binghamton up, 2-1 after 20 minutes.
Toronto received an early five-on-three power play in the second as Mark Borowiecki and Chris Wideman shared the penalty box for 1:35 just 22 seconds into the period. Despite the man advantage, the Marlies were unable to put the puck in the net. The score remained 2-1 through the second, as neither team rallied goals.
The B-Sens gained a 3-1 lead as Pat Cannone slapped one in at 5:52 into the third period, courtesy of Stone and Shane Prince. Prince would gain his second point of the night tallying a power play goal at the 8:20 mark. Wideman and Lebda each earned assists on the play. Toronto pulled goaltender Jussi Rynnas after Prince's goal, forcing Mark Owuya to take over in net. The Marlies would get one final goal as Johnson City native Jerry D'Amigo put one behind Marc Cheverie on the power play, with Jake Gardiner and Simon Gysbers drawing the helpers.
Cheverie faced 27 Toronto shots, making 25 saves to earn the win. Jussi Rynnas made 13 saves on 17 shots and came away with his ninth loss of the season. Owuya stopped three of three shots in 10:15 of play.
The B-Sens return to action tomorrow as they conclude back-to-back games versus the Toronto Marlies at 3 p.m. Fans can listen live on "Binghamton's Classic Hits" BIG 107.5 (WBBI-FM) beginning 15 minutes before game time as Grady Whittenburg, the voice of the B-Sens, hosts the Countdown to Faceoff.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2013
- Brock Nelson nets game-winner late in regulation, Rick DiPietro makes 22 saves to earn win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Defeat Chicago, 2-1, on Military Appreciation Night - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Come up Short in Loss to Ads - Rockford IceHogs
- Barons Slip by Stars 5-4 in Shootout - Texas Stars
- PINK IN THE RINK NIGHT A SUCCESS AS FALCONS WIN IN SHOOTOUT - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Fall to Amerks in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Handle Griffins 4-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Give up Four Consecutive Goals in Loss to Peoria - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Start Back-To-Back with Shutout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Johnson's Solid Start Spoiled in Shootout against Sharks - Portland Pirates
- Wolves Get Bulled over by Rampage, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Defeat Rockford 3-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins End Home Stand with Shootout Win over Devils - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- DiPietro Nips Munroe in Bridgeport - Adirondack Phantoms
- Tokarski, Bulldogs Spook Monsters 2-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Albany Devils Fall Late in Shootout - Albany Devils
- Sateri Super with 37 Saves and Shuts Door in Shootout Win - Worcester Sharks
- Bruins Fall to Falcons in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Admirals See Late Lead Vanish in Hershey - Norfolk Admirals
- IceCaps Set Back by Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Stun Admirals with Late Comeback - Hershey Bears
- Jones Ices Caps - Manchester Monarchs
- Toronto Falls 4-2 against Binghamton - Toronto Marlies
- B-Sens Defeat Marlies, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Kings Announce Roster Moves - Manchester Monarchs
- Julseth-White Signed to PTO - Providence Bruins
- Hogs Seek Lucky Number Seven - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Providence, Game #54 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Assign Louis Domingue to Gwinnett - Portland Pirates
- Aeros Fall to Heat 4-2 - Houston Aeros
- Pirates Go Purple to Face Sharks in Portland - Portland Pirates
- Heat Rally in 4-2 Win over Aeros - Abbotsford Heat
- Rockford Extends Streak to Six, Downs Peoria 4-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Drop 5-1 Decision to Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Montreal Canadiens Recall Gabriel Dumont - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Power Play Pushes 'Hogs Past Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Holland, McMillan Lead Charge as Admirals Rout Checkers - Norfolk Admirals
- Nyquist's Three-Point Night Lifts Griffins Past Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.