Weekly WarriorFebruary 11, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) Greenville Road Warriors
The Road Warriors returned to the Century BMW Rink at the BI-LO Center this past week for a two-game series. An injury-riddled roster faced off against the Toledo Walleye on Thursday and the Cincinnati Cyclones on Saturday. Greenville lost a close game on Thursday by a score of 2-1. The game came down to the wire but even with the extra attacker, the Road Warriors could not pull past the Walleye.
Greenville had a team record 6,825 fans on Saturday at the Century BMW Rink at the BI-LO Center. The Road Warriors went into the third period with a lead but Cincinnati scored two goals in the early stages of the final frame to go up 3-2. Marc-Olivier Vallerand found a wide open Brendan Connolly to tie the game at three and force overtime and shootouts. Cincinnati beat Greenville in shootouts to secure the victory by a score of 4-3. Greenville put the most shots on net this season by peppering the Cyclones goaltender with 48 shots.
The Road Warriors have a two game set on Thursday and Friday night. Thursday the Wheeling Nailers come to town for a 7 p.m. matchup on Valentine's Day. The Road Warriors have not won in regulation against the Wheeling Nailers in the four games played this year. When fans purchase $10 Red Section seats, $2 will be donated to the American Heart Association. Fans are encouraged to wear to the game as the Road Warriors will RED OUT the arena.
On Friday, the Road Warriors play the Florida Everblades for the final time this season. Greenville has dominated Florida this season winning seven of the ten games. Friday is also Rowdy's birthday bash where local mascots will be on hand in celebration of Rowdy's special day. A Rowdy soap dispenser presented by WSSL 100.5 will be issued to the first 1,500 fans 12 and under. Hockey Happy Hour also returns at 5 p.m. with free food presented and entertainment presented by ABC Party Rentals and Chiefs Wings and Firewater.
Streaks and Stats
Marc-Olivier Vallerand ranks fifth in the ECHL scoring race with 54 points. Jordie Johnston is tied for third among rookies with three game winning goals. T.J. Reynolds is the only Road Warrior to play in all 51 games this season. The Road Warriors are 16-1-1 when leading after one period of play. When scoring a power play goal the Road Warriors are 19-4-4.
The Road Warriors had a flurry of roster moves last week. Mike Marcou was loaned to the San Antonio Rampage and Jyri Niemi was reassigned to the Connecticut Whale by the New York Rangers. Greenville signed three players from the Southern Professional League. The players were Zach Tatrn, who was released the day after he signed, Ricky Helmbrecht and Derek Matheson. Connor Knapp was reassigned from Rochester by the Buffalo Sabres and Paul Lee was acquired from the Trenton Titans for future considerations.
ECHL Stories from February 11, 2013
- Radio Recon Is Ready for the Rookie Party - Reading Royals
- Lunden Returns to AHL's IceCaps - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Stingrays Name Kevin Quick Team Captain - South Carolina Stingrays
- Condors Weekly: Condors Gone Wild, Win in SF Highlight the Week - Bakersfield Condors
- Free Admission for Kids Club Members & Classroom Champions this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Lafranchise Returns to Alaska from AHL - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - February 11 - ECHL
- Trenton Titans Have Officially Gone "Metal" - Trenton Titans
- Goaltender Cal Heeter Recalled to AHL - Trenton Titans
- Marcou Returns from Loan, Helmbrecht Released - Greenville Road Warriors
- Weekly Warrior - Greenville Road Warriors
- Stingrays to Announce Team Captain Tonight on Monday Night Hockey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Langdon Named Captain, D. Ouellet Alternate, Tam Returns - San Francisco Bulls
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Seven straight wins lift Wranglers in standings - ECHL
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Weekly: 2-For-1 Tickets vs. Defending Kelly Cup Champions Wednesday - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Komets Hold Playoff Position; IceMen Visit Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Colorado Eagles Weekly Update - Colorado Eagles
- McNeill Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Cody Sol Recalled to IceCaps - Colorado Eagles
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.