Admirals Muscle Past Penguins in Third PeriodFebruary 8, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Norfolk Admirals Press Release
Rosehill netted two goals, an assist and had a fight for the "Gordie Howe Hat Trick." Letourneau-Leblond rung up a goal and two assists. Deslauriers (1-1-0) stopped 31of 32 shots for his first win as an Admiral, as Norfolk scored three unanswered goals in the third period.
Norfolk took a 1-0 lead 7:46 into the first period on Rosehill's third goal of the season. After a strong forecheck behind the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton net, Letourneau-Leblond intercepted the puck along the right half wall. Letourneau-Leblond then sent the puck towards the net. Rosehill, who was stationed on top of the crease with his back to the goaltender, deflected the puck on his backhand between his legs and past Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender Brad Thiessen.
The Penguins tied the game late in the second period. From the right half wall in the Norfolk zone, an Admirals forward attempted to wrap the puck around the end boards to a teammate on the opposite side. However, the puck caromed off a stanchion back towards the slot. Warren Peters found the carom and sent a shot over Deslauriers' left leg at 17:42 to tie the game at 1-1.
Norfolk entered the third period with a tied score for the third straight game. This time, they exited the period with the win. Just over three minutes into the final frame, Devante Smith-Pelly entered the attacking zone along the left wing. He sent a pass to Brittain, who was trailing the play in the high slot. Brittain sent a wrist shot past Thiessen at 3:02 for his sixth goal of the season and a 2-1 lead.
Norfolk's lead doubled just over three minutes later. Rosehill forced a turnover along the right wing and spotted Letourneau-Leblond in the right circle. As he saw the puck coming towards him, Letourneau-Leblond spun around and one-timed the puck between the right arm and leg of Thiessen for his first goal as an Admiral at 6:07.
Less than three minutes later, Letourneau-Leblond started the scoring on Rosehill's second goal by forcing a turnover in the right corner. Chris Wagner then spotted Rosehill all alone on top of the crease, and Rosehill sent a quick one-timer past Thiessen at 8:59 for his fourth goal of the season.
Rosehill finished the "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" when he dropped the gloves with Bobby Farnham just 26 seconds later.
Deslauriers made the lead stand with 12 saves in the third period alone, as he earned his first Norfolk win.
Thiessen (9-9-1) stopped 23 of 27 shots in defeat.
Both teams were 0-for-5 on the power play.
The same teams will face off tomorrow night at Scope at 7:15 p.m. before the Admirals embark on a four-game road trip.
Don't miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime.
American Hockey League Stories from February 8, 2013
- Admirals Fall to Houston 5-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Muscle Past Penguins in Third Period - Norfolk Admirals
- Crunch Banish Phantoms 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Fitzy Shows off at Syracuse - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hogs Return Home on Winning Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- Rivermen Let One Slip Away - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolves Sled Past Bulldogs 3-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Griffins See Shutout and Win Streak End in Oklahoma City - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Blank Bulldogs, 3-0 - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Dropped by Admirals - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Brandon Davidson Returns to Barons Lineup - Oklahoma City Barons
- Whale Escape for Nicer Weather To...Newfoundland" - Connecticut Whale
- Flames Recall Centre Ben Street - Abbotsford Heat
- Andersson Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game on: Hamilton Bulldogs vs. Chicago Wolves Tonight - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heat Sign Goaltender Grant Rollheiser - Abbotsford Heat
- Kings Acquire Defenseman Keaton Ellerby - Manchester Monarchs
- Bruins Game in Manchester Rescheduled - Providence Bruins
- Monarchs Pink in the Rink Game Moved to Tuesday - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- 8th Annual Griffins & Sled Wings Game Set for February 12 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Weekend Preview vs Lake Erie - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Loan Goaltender Marc Cheverie to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Senators Re-Assign Mark Borowiecki to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign Two Defensemen to Tryout Contracts - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.