Eberle's Natural Hat Trick Leads Barons over Stars 5-2December 31, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Texas Stars
The Stars controlled the play early on as they out-shot the Barons 11-3 in the first 15 minutes of the game. Momentum took an abrupt and dramatic shift when Jordan Eberle scored at15:44 to give Oklahoma a 1-0 lead. Nine seconds later Eberle found the net again as he snapped a wrist shot over the glove of Cristopher Nilstorp for his second goal of the night. The AHL's leading goal scorer completed a natural hat trick at 18:27, scoring his league-leading 23rd goal of year on the power play. Eberle scored his three goals in the span of 2:43 to give the Barons a commanding lead, even though Texas led in shots 12-7 after the first period.
The Stars got on the board seven minutes into the second frame when Colton Sceviour collected a loose rebound from a Maxime Fortunus shot and backhanded the puck into the net. The goal, assisted by Fortunus and Travis Morin, was Sceviour's ninth of the season. Less than two minutes later Justin Schultz regained Oklahoma City's three-goal with a power play goal on a wrist shot from the high slot with traffic in front. Texas equaled a season-high with 21 shots on goal in the middle period, only allowing nine shots from the Barons, but they trailed 4-1 after forty minutes.
A mere 28 seconds into the third period Morin set a beautiful cross-ice pass to Matt Fraser for a blistering one-timer into the net and a power play goal. Fraser's team-leading 12th goal of the year, also assisted by Brenden Dillon, cut the host's lead to 4-2. Barons' goalie Yann Danis kept Texas at bay throughout the final period and in the closing seconds Josh Green added an empty net goal to close out a 5-2 win for Oklahoma City.
Yann Danis finished the game with 42 saves on 44 shots to earn his 13th win of the season in goal for the Barons, while Cristopher Nilstorp had 22 saves on 26 shots in the loss for Texas. The Stars out-shot Oklahoma City 44-27 in the game and went 1-for-6 on the power play; the Barons were 2-for-2 with the man-advantage.
Texas returns to action on Friday, January 4th as they travel to Houston for a 7:05 p.m. faceoff with the Aeros at Toyota Center. The Stars returns home Saturday, January 5th for a 7:00 p.m. faceoff against the Peoria Rivermen at Cedar Park Center. Saturday's home game is a Family Four Pack Night and is the Stars Team Card Set Giveaway. Pro-rated full and partial 2012-13 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com.
American Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2012
- New Year, New Beginning - Manchester Monarchs
- Heat Close 2012 with 2-1 Shootout Loss - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Close out 2012 in First Place - Grand Rapids Griffins
- New Year's Celebration Starts with 2-1 Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Sharks Close out 2012 with a Bang in Manchester - Worcester Sharks
- Eberle's Natural Hat Trick Leads Barons over Stars 5-2 - Texas Stars
- Hogs Fall in 2012 Finale in Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Round out 2012 with 4-2 Win over IceCaps - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Drop New Year's Eve Game to Senators - St. John's IceCaps
- Whale Harpooned by Portland Comeback - Connecticut Whale
- Penguins End Year with Loss to Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comeback City Closes 2012 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Crunch Close out 2012 with Win over Penguins - Syracuse Crunch
- Poulin Propels Sound Tigers to 4-3 Shootout Win over Phantoms - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Ring in the New Year with 2-0 Win over Bulldogs - Rochester Americans
- Americans Blank Bulldogs 2-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Stars Weekly - Stars Ring in New Year at Oklahoma City - Texas Stars
- Admirals to Give Away Green Bay Playoff Tickets - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Houston Aeros Sign Derek Couture - Houston Aeros
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Brittain Joins Admirals, Cousineau Sent to Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks Hitting Stride into 2013 - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- IceHogs Grab a Share of First After Week 12 - Rockford IceHogs
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Defenseman T.J. Brennan Named Ccm/AHL Player of the Week - Rochester Americans
- Rochester's T.J. Brennan Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Right In Between To Start 2013 - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.