Titans Continue to Roll; Drop Evansville, 6-3, to Sweep Season SeriesDecember 21, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) - Trenton Titans
With the win, the Titans (12-11-2-228 points) end a five-game road losing streak that dated back to November 12 in Elmira. They also continued their scoring ways by picking up points in five consecutive games (4-0-1) - the first time since winning five straight from March 24-April 2, 2010.
Trenton set the scoring tone with a Ryan Hayes (3) power play goal at 13:11 of the first. One minute later Connor Goggin slipped in his second of the year with a wrister from the top of the right circle that snuck in short-side right past IceMen goalie Paul Dainton (22 saves, 0-2-0-1) for a 2-0 lead that carried into the second.
Josh Beaulieu got Evansville on the board midway into the period, but five minutes later the lead jumped back to 3-1. Phil DiSimone - in his second game since being sent on loan to Trenton from Albany (AHL) - notched his third point of the year (and second goal) with a power play tally.
Evansville cut the deficit back to one with two minutes left, then tied things at 3-3 on Dylan Clarke's eighth of the year with 8:44 left in regulation.
Unfazed, the Titans responded the same way they have during this run - by fighting back and quickly. Ian Slater and Jacob Cepis hustled to set up Kory Nagy for his second at 12:58. Three minutes later Cepis got his chance on the power play, ripping his seventh (second since a trade from Idaho and second on the PP) past Dainton for the 5-3 advantage.
Evansville (10-17-0-323) got one last chance on the man-advantage with 2:25 to play. However after pulling Dainton to go 6-on-4, a Blake Kessel steal and Justin Taylor feed gave Andy Bohmbach a short-handed, empty netter to close out the win.
For "The Big Easy", it was his 13th goal of the year, his third short-handed and second straight SHG in as many meetings with Evansville.
Niko Hovinen improved to 4-4-0-2 on the season, stopping 26 shots to win his second consecutive start.
The Titans now move on to Fort Wayne in an attempt to sweep Indiana in a 7:30 battle with the Komets Saturday night. It is the first ever meeting with the former member of the CHL, and the only meeting with the Komets this year. With the Komets sitting at eighth in the Eastern Conference and two points ahead of the Titans, this solo meeting could become important when the season gets shorter. The Titans Pregame Show begins at 7:10, as "The Bronc" Daryle Dobos calls the action on AmericaOne.com, 107.7 FM (Trenton) and 1077theBronc.com.
ECHL Stories from December 21, 2012
- Titans Continue to Roll; Drop Evansville, 6-3, to Sweep Season Series - Trenton Titans
- Grizzlies Head to Holiday Break After Taking Point Versus Las Vegas - Utah Grizzlies
- Wranglers Claw 4-3 Shootout Win from Grizzlies - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Eagles Edge Condors for Second Game in a Row - Colorado Eagles
- Tying Goal Waived Off, Condors Fall 2-1 in Colorado - Bakersfield Condors
- Nailers Win Fifth Straight 5-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Roy Scores Twice as 'Blades Defeat Orlando 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Prevail in Wild Affair, 6-5 over Stingrays - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Third Period Sinks Solar Bears in 6-2 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Late Surge Pushes Komets Past K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Slip by Stingrays in High-Scoring Affair - South Carolina Stingrays
- Greenville Finishes Strong against Walleye in Victory - Greenville Road Warriors
- Glads Fall 4-2 in Reading - Gwinnett Gladiators
- SF Bulls Host "It's End of the World as We Know It" Game Tonight - San Francisco Bulls
- Jackals Downed by Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - December 21 - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Fort Wayne Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Defenseman Brett Flemming Returned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. South Carolina - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Florida Everblades Tonight - December 21 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Acquire Defenseman Tim Priamo - Fort Wayne Komets
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Evansville - December 21 - Trenton Titans
- Debut Episode of ECHL Week Now Available - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Open Road Trip Tonight vs. Cincinnati - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - December 21 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.