Teddy Bear Toss Night a Huge SuccessDecember 9, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Lethbridge Hurricanes Press Release
The Teddy Bear Toss is a popular Christmas season promotion celebrated by many hockey teams throughout North America. Fans are encouraged to bring a stuffed animal to the game and throw them on the ice when the home team scores its first goal. The Hurricanes participated in their first Teddy Bear Toss in 1995 and since then, they along with game night sponsors Canadian Tire and Global TV have collected and donated thousands of bears. In November 2007, Lethbridge set a record when 5202 Hurricanes fans set the bar with a record number of 21,905 bears being collected, a record that has since been surpassed.
This year dozens of volunteers collected 4,025 stuffed animals (an increase of nearly 1,100 over last year) and they were distributed to the Interfaith Food Bank, Piikani Youth Centre, RCMP Victim Services Unit, Blood Tribe Police, the Salvation Army, Streets Alive, and 1st Choice Savings and Credit Union on behalf of Lethbridge Family Services Angel Tree for Kids. On Monday, December 10th, the Lethbridge Hurricanes players will deliver some of the bears to the Pediatrics Ward at Chinook Regional Hospital.
The Lethbridge Hurricanes would like to thank all the fans who generously donated bears to this worthy cause.
Western Hockey League Stories from December 9, 2012
- Kamloops Downs Giants 4-1 Sunday - Vancouver Giants
- Winterhawks Defeat Tri-Cities 4-1 Sunday - Portland Winterhawks
- Blazers Down Giants 4-1 - Kamloops Blazers
- Teddy Bear Toss Night a Huge Success - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Saskatoon Wallops Pats 7-0 - Regina Pats
- Tuesday is Rain Check Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats vs Blades Teddy Bear Toss Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Royals Buck Broncos - Victoria Royals
- Lofthouse Hat Trick Spurs Win over Giants - Everett Silvertips
- Portland Ends T-Birds' Streak at 4 - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Giants Lose to Silvertips 4-1 in Everett - Vancouver Giants
- Winterhawks Win 6-2 in Seattle Saturday - Portland Winterhawks
- Hitmen fall 4-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Kelowna extends streak - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.