Rampage Fall to Houston, 2-1November 23, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) San Antonio Rampage
Houston (8-6-1-2) scored both of their goals while on the power play - the first of which came with a 5-on-3 man advantage. On the night, Houston went 2-for-6 on the power play to improve to 7-for-24 against the Rampage with the man advantage this season.
San Antonio got off to a quick start, recording 11 of the first 14 shots of the game. Defenseman Tyson Strachan rang a shot off the post five minutes into the period. But Houston rallied late in the frame and generated several high-quality scoring changes in the final minutes of the period. Markstrom stopped a three-shot flurry with just under two minutes to play to keep the game scoreless heading into the first intermission.
The Aeros started the second period with 1:32 of five-on-three power-play time, as the Rampage took two late penalties in the first period. Houston took advantage, as Jason Zucker received a back-door pass from Justin Fontaine and one-timed it past Markstrom 25 seconds into the second period with the two-man advantage.
San Antonio again outshot Houston in the second period, 10-5, but were unable to beat Aeros goaltender Matt Hackett and Houston held a 1-0 lead going into the final period of action.
Timmins put the Rampage on the board at 13:36 of the third period on only the club's second shot of the frame. Timmins started the rush in the neutral zone before dumping off a pass to Greg Rallo. Rallo then found Jon Rheault at the left faceoff dot. Rheault, who has five goals and four assists in his last nine games, made a cross-crease pass to Timmins and the Rampage center banged home the pass.
Houston reclaimed the lead with a power-play goal at 17:47. Fontaine received a pass that split two Rampage defensemen and fired a shot that beat Markstrom high for his second point of the game.
San Antonio had a power play with 53 seconds remaining in regulation, but was unable to find the tying goal. On the night, the Rampage were outshot by the Aeros, 26-25, and went 0-for-4 on the power play. San Antonio is now winless in their last six games (0-5-0-1).
The Rampage will play the second game of the three-in-three weekend tomorrow (Saturday) against the Abbotsford Head at 7 p.m. at AT&T Center. The game will also mark the eighth annual Teddy Bear Toss, benefiting the U.S. Marine Corps' Toys for Tots program. Fans who bring a new, unwrapped stuffed animal to the game will receive a voucher for a free order of nachos. The stuffed animals will be thrown onto the ice when the Rampage score their first goal of the game.
Individual, and season, tickets start at $10 and can be purchased at the AT&T Center Southeast Box Office, by calling a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or online at sarampage.com.
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2012
- Heat Beat Stars 1-0 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall to Houston, 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Back to Back: Phantoms Prevail 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Outscored by Whale 7-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cole's Late Tally Leads to Shootout Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Abbotsford Slips by Texas 1-0 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Tatar's Two Push Griffins Past Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Can't Snap Winless Streak - Lake Erie Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Senators 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Saad's Third Period Tally Lifts Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall in Shoot-Out to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs' Friday Gets Darker - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeat Sound Tigers - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Battle Through Wild Second Period, Surrender in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- Black Friday No Bargain for Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Extend Win Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Win over Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Hamilton Finds a Good Deal in Manchester on Black Friday - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Lose at Rochester - Albany Devils
- Fontaine Leads Houston Aeros to 2-1 Win in San Antonio - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback in Glens Falls - Norfolk Admirals
- TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690, Sirius XM All to Broadcast Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flynn, Brennan Power Amerks to 5-2 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Fans Invited to Grey Cup Viewing Party at Copps Coliseum Following Bulldogs Game Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Recall Courtnall - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Take on Texas Twice Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sportsnet Adds More American Hockey League Action - AHL
- Falcons Players to Transform into Celebrity Servers Tuesday - Springfield Falcons
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds More American Hockey League Games to Schedule - AHL
- Amerks Ticket Discount Available on Specially Marked Pepsi Cans - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Portland, Game #15 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Sign Rod Pelley to PTO; Assign Gabe Guentzel to ECHL Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Darcy Kuemper Reassigned to Orlando, Aeros Sign Goalie John Curry - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Sign Defenseman Cullity - Springfield Falcons
- Park and Ride Continues for this Weekend's Games - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.