Mystics, Lacey to Part WaysSeptember 24, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Washington Mystics
"We are looking forward to a fresh start with our core returning players, a high draft pick that will yield an impact player and a new direction in basketball operations," said Johnson. "Everyone in our organization recognizes how frustrating the season has been and would like to thank our fans for their support. We thank Trudi for her dedicated work and wish her well in her future endeavors."
The Mystics will participate in the WNBA Draft Lottery to be held Wednesday, Sept. 26, and hold the best odds of receiving the No. 1 overall pick. The results of the draft lottery will be broadcast during the 6 p.m. edition of ESPN's SportsCenter. For behind the scenes coverage of the Mystics' participation in the draft lottery, log on to WashingtonMystics.com.
In addition to Lacey's departure, the contracts of the team's assistant coaches will not be renewed.
The WNBA's Washington Mystics are owned and operated by Monumental Sports & Entertainment, which is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. The group also owns and operates the NBA's Washington Wizards, the NHL's Washington Capitals and Verizon Center - the premier sports and entertainment venue in Washington, D.C. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also oversees the management of Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals, and George Mason University's Patriot Center.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 24, 2012
- Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the Week - Los Angeles Sparks
- Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry Wins League Scoring Title - Atlanta Dream
- Lindsay Whalen Captures WNBA Peak Performer Honor for Second Consecutive Season - Minnesota Lynx
- Angel McCoughtry, Tina Charles and Lindsay Whalen Capture 2012 WNBA Peak Performer Honors - WNBA
- Mystics, Lacey to Part Ways - Washington Mystics
- Sun's Charles and Sparks' Parker Named Players of the Week - WNBA
- New York Liberty Extend Contract of Cappie Pondexter - New York Liberty
- Chicago, Phoenix, Tulsa, Washington to Vie for Top Pick in WNBA Draft - WNBA
- Sophia Young Signs Contract Extension - San Antonio Silver Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.