Troy Tulowitzki & Jason Giambi to Rehab with Sky SoxAugust 28, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Colorado Springs Sky Sox
Tulowitzki, 27, will be making his fourth appearance as a member of the Sky Sox. The talented young shortstop originally skipped the Triple-A Sky Sox all together in 2007 when he won the starting shortstop job with the Rockies. He went on to hit .291 (177-for-609) with 24 homers and 99 RBI as he finished second in the National League Rookie of the Year Award and helped the Rockies reach their first ever World Series.
In 2008, Tulowitzki suffered a left quadriceps tendon tear and rehabbed with the Sky Sox in June of that year.
During that two game stint, Tulowitzki hit .429 (3-for-7) with a double, two runs scored and a RBI. In 2010, a fractured left hand sent Tulowitzki to the Sky Sox on rehab and he hit .250 (1-for-4) with a run scored and a walk in two games. Finally, earlier this year Tulowitzki attempted his first comeback from his current groin injury and hit a two-run home run in his first at bat and a single in his second before coming out of the game with further injury.
Giambi, 41, will be starting his third stint in a Sky Sox uniform as he previously played for Colorado Springs in 2009 after the Rockies signed him as a minor league free agent in August of that year. In six games, Giambi hit .444 (8-for-18) with two homers, four RBI and four runs scored before the Rockies purchased his contract and called him up when rosters expanded on September 1. In 2011, Giambi rehabbed with the Sox in August of that year after straining his left quadriceps. He played in three games with the Sox and hit .429 (3-for-7) with two runs scored and three RBI.
In his career, Giambi has established himself as one of the premier power hitters in the game. The 2000 American League MVP has hit 429 Major League home runs while playing with the A's, Yankees and Rockies from 1995-2012.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 28, 2012
- Downs and Dominguez Provide Power in 6-5 Win - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Two Six-Run Rallies Lead to Sox Rout of River Cats - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Round Rock Express Sweep New Orleans in Doubleheader - Round Rock Express
- River Cats Fall to Sky Sox, 14-6 - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Power Past Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Hold off the Storm Chasers - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Shuts out Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Halton, Green Power Sounds Past I-Cubs, 7-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Angels Recall Kole Calhoun - Salt Lake Bees
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. New Orleans Zephyrs - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 28, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Eaton Earns PCL Rookie of the Year Honors - Reno Aces
- Adam Eaton Named 2012 PCL Rookie of the Year - PCL
- Troy Tulowitzki & Jason Giambi to Rehab with Sky Sox - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces Announce 2-For-1 Ticket Deal - Reno Aces
- Aces Win 4-3 over Fresno in Extra Innings - Reno Aces
- Tucson wins 10-6 - Tucson Padres
- Close Doesn't Count for Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- 'Topes Roughed up by RedHawks, 6-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.