TinCaps Demolish Lugnuts, 9-1August 15, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Fort Wayne (30-21, 61-60) scored first when Travis Whitmore grounded into a second-inning fielder's choice, scoring Yeison Asencio, and giving the TinCaps a 1-0 lead against starter Aaron Sanchez (8-3). Sanchez, making his first start since July 30, lasted three innings. Fort Wayne increased its early lead to 3-0 on back-to-back sacrifice flies by Tyler Stubblefield and Mike Gallic in the fifth inning. Stubblefield went 1-4 in his return from a 10-day stint on the disabled list.
The lone run allowed by Rea came in the bottom of the fifth. He allowed a leadoff double to Gustavo Pierre, who moved to third on a Shane Opitz single and scored on a throwing error by Rea. The pitcher's attempted pickoff throw to first sailed wide, sending Pierre home and Opitz to second.
Following Rea's departure, the offense continued to flourish tacking on two runs in the sixth, one run each in the seventh and eighth and two more in the ninth. Lansing (27-22, 74-44) committed three errors in the ninth inning and four total on the night, equaling its season-high for miscues in one ballgame.
Austin Hedges led the TinCaps offense with a four-for-five night, including his 10th home run of the year. Hedges is now tied with Lee Orr for the team lead in home runs. Whitmore finished the night two-for-five with three runs batted in. The other occasion on which the TinCaps collected 16 hits was a 12-1 win on April 20th against the Kane County Cougars.
Game two of the series is scheduled for Thursday night at 7:05. The scheduled starters are Ruben Mejia for Fort Wayne and Noah Syndergaard for Lansing.
Midwest League Stories from August 15, 2012
- Chiefs Drop Series Opener to Bees 5-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Whitecaps To Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Held to Two Hits in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Demolish Lugnuts, 9-1 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Watson, Backed by Bats, Pitches River Bandits to 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hawks Crumble in Eighth, Fall 7-1 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- TinCaps coast past Lugnuts, 9-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Down Kernels, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Hammered at Home - Kane County Cougars
- Sale's Does It All in Series-Opening Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Shutout Dragons 7-0 in Series Opener - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Blank Dragons 7-0 - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts Activate Prospect Sanchez from DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons on TV Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for August 15 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Announce Multiple Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- K9 Crew Trick Dog Show at Fifth Third Field on Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for August 18-24 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Milwaukee Brewers Pitcher Shaun Marcum Expected to Make Rehab Start Tonight - Beloit Snappers
- Spectators Welcome at Loons Rock the Clock - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Make Roster Move - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Begin Seven-Game Home Stand Saturday - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.