Gulbransen, Offense Extend Win Streak to SixAugust 11, 2012 - American Association (AA) Gary SouthShore Railcats
The RailCats scored in the first inning for the third straight game. Adam Klein led off with a double and Chris Carrara reached on an infield single with one out. Craig Maddox hit an RBI single to right and Kenny Bryant brought home Carrara with a groundout to put the 'Cats on top 2-0. The RailCats have scored nine runs in the first inning over the last three games, and are outscoring their opponents 74-37 in the first inning this season.
Lincoln answered with an unearned run in the bottom of the first against Gulbransen. David Espinosa drove in Sean Smith with a grounder to cut the deficit to 2-1.
The 'Cats came back for more in the second inning against Saltdogs starter Ryan Sheldon. Mike Massaro and Carrara hit back-to-back RBI singles with two out to make it 4-1. The RailCats pounded four doubles on their way to three runs in the fourth inning. David Cooper, Klein, Massaro and Maddox each doubled as the 'Cats took a 7-1 lead. Gary hit a season-high six doubles in the game.
Gulbransen (4-1) held the Saltdogs to an unearned run on five hits in six innings. He walked one and struck out five. In his last two starts, he has given up two runs, one earned in 13 innings of work and has lowered his ERA to 2.46.
Sheldon (5-4) was rocked for seven runs, six earned on a season-high 12 hits.
The Saltdogs slowly chipped away at the six-run deficit, scoring single runs in the sixth and seventh innings. In the ninth, they scored on a bases-loaded walk and sac fly against RailCats reliever Marco Gonzales. Lincoln twice brought the winning run to the plate in the inning, but Gonzalez got Mike Provencher to pop out to end the game.
The RailCats have won three straight series for the first time all season and will look for their second consecutive sweep on Sunday at 5:05. Morgan Coombs (4-7, 4.72) will be on the bump for Gary.
American Association Stories from August 11, 2012
- Saints Work Extra for 4-3 Win over Amarillo - St. Paul Saints
- Gulbransen, Offense Extend Win Streak to Six - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lemurs Win Big Over Airhogs - Laredo Lemurs
- Gary Staves off Late 'Dogs Charge for 6th Straight Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Keep Coming, Smash AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Pheasants lose lopsided contest to Fargo-Moorhead - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Ramon's Blast Kick Starts Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- T-Bones Drop Pair to Worcester, 8-1 and 8-1 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Sneak by Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Sign Left-Handed Pitcher Sinclair - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Claim Canadian Morari off Waivers - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- El Paso Rallies Past X's - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.