Cougars clip Kernels, 4-3August 11, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
Kane County's 6th inning was the difference in a game where all the scoring occurred in the middle innings. Down 3-1, the Cougars had five consecutive hits to tie the game within five hitters. The visitors then took the decisive lead on a sacrifice fly by Alex Llanos.
Both teams scored in the 4th inning after neither side had a hit in the first three frames. Kane County took a 1-0 lead on a solo home run from Justin Trapp that was hit over the foul pole and ruled fair by the umpires. The Cougars second baseman went 3-5 on a day he was a double short of the cycle.
However, Cedar Rapids took its first lead in the bottom half of the 4th inning. Andy Workman doubled and eventually scored on a Zach Borenstein groundout to tie the game. The inning appeared over when Gary Mitchell hit a weak, 2-out grounder to second base, but a Cougars error on a misplay allowed Frazier Hall to score. Abel Baker then scored Mitchell on an RBI single to put the Kernels up 3-1.
For the Kernels, Frank De Jiulio made his seventh start this season and it was inarguably his best. In a spot start after southpaw Aaron Meade was promoted late Friday night, De Jiulio allowed just two hits over 5 innings pitched. Of the five innings he pitched, four saw Kane County's hitters retired in order.
Michael Johnson (4-6) took the loss in a 3 inning appearance, while Kane County starter Bryan Brickhouse (3-3) earned a victory with a 7 inning, 3-hit evening. Also, Andrew Triggs earned his first save of the season while allowing one hit in the game's final two innings.
Next: Saturday, August 12 at 2:05 p.m. vs. Kane County Cougars (Royals); Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium Promotions: It's Run the Bases Sunday! You can also play catch in the outfield after the game. Come get autographs from the Kernels players on the concourse before the game! Play Travel Advisors Baseball Vacation Bingo for a chance to win a trip to Anaheim to see the Angels play in 2013! Papa Balloon and Funny Face Designs by Lori face painting will also be at the game! Pitching Matchup: LHP Ryan Crowley (1-3, 3.29) vs. Kane County's RHP Kyle Smith (2-1, 3.10)
Get your tickets now! Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com . The ticket office at Veterans Memorial Stadium is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. Morgan Hawk brings you the live action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com.
Midwest League Stories from August 11, 2012
- Ramirez delivers game-winning hit in the thirteenth - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Suffer Extra-Innings Defeat - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Snatch Victory from 'Caps in Fifteen - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Win 5-3 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugnuts end skid with 4-3 12-inning win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bad Luck Befalls Bees in 9-8 Loss to Bandits - Burlington Bees
- Soler's Blasts Ends Snappers' Winning Streak - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits Win Late, 9-8, with Wild Comeback over Bees - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars clip Kernels, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Groff, Hawks Power Past Captains - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hawks Halt Captains 7-2 - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Battle Back to Win, 4-3 on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Wisler Shines in Fort Wayne Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Clip Kernels - Kane County Cougars
- Reliever Crawford Joins Hot Rods, McEachern to D.L. - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for August 11 - Dayton Dragons
- Parking Advisory for August 12 - Beloit Snappers
- Aaron Meade to Inland Empire; Brandon Lodge activated from DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Drop Finale in Burlington 10-5 - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.