Legends Take Third Straight over Asheville, 9-5August 3, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lexington Legends
The Legends built a 7-0 lead before the Tourists rallied. Lexington scored a run in the top of the first inning when Nolan Fontana walked and scored on Johnson's double. The Legends added another run in the second when Jordan Scott bunted for a hit, moved to third on a single by Luis Alvarez and scored on Fontana's ground out.
The Legends scored four more runs in the top of the fourth. Justin Gominsky led off with a double. Scott walked, and both advanced on a balk by Asheville starter Vianney Mayo. Gominsky scored on a ground out by Luis Alvarez. With two outs, Fontana struck out, but a wild pitch allowed him to reach first as Scott scored, and Johnson followed with his 14th home run of the season, giving the Legends a 6-0 lead.
Brandon Meredith led off the top of the fifth with a homer, and the Legends led 7-0.
Asheville began a comeback with three runs in the bottom of the fifth. With one out, David Kandilas singled and Brian Humphries homered. Trevor Story singled, moved to third on a sacrifice by Tyler Massey and an error by Johnson, the first baseman, and then scored on a sacrifice fly by Sam Mende.
Consecutive singles by Jared Simon, Jordan Ribera and Kandilas produced another run in the bottom of the sixth, and the Tourists cut the lead to 7-5 in the eighth on a walk to Taylor Featherston and an RBI double by Kandilas.
The Legends added two runs in the ninth. Delino DeShields Jr. led off with a triple and scored when first baseman Ribera bobbled a ground ball hit by Fontana. Fontana stole second, went to third on an infield out and scored on a single by Meredith.
Legends starter Luis Ordosgoitti (5-3) worked and five and two-thirds innings and got the win. Asheville starter Vianney Mayo (4-5) was the losing pitcher.
The Legends continue their road trip with a four-game series in Hagerstown, beginning Friday night. Game time is 7:05 p.m.
South Atlantic League Stories from August 3, 2012
- T's Snatch Game One from the 'Gnats - Asheville Tourists
- Shorebirds Fall 7-4 in Game One to Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rome wins record 12th straight Kannapolis native Query 2-for-4 with 2 RBI - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Pick-Up Series Opening Win - Greenville Drive
- Skole's Legendary Walk-Off Grand Slam Lifts Suns over Lexington - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Take Weather Shortened Game 2-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Steers by 'Dads, 4-1 - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Arms Maintain Hold on First - West Virginia Power
- 'Claws Shutout by Power, 2-0 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Charleston Downs GreenJackets in Rain-Shortened Game on Friday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hickory Metro Sports Commission Selected to Host Great Smokies Basketball Shootout - Hickory Crawdads
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Take Third Straight over Asheville, 9-5 - Lexington Legends
- Mayo's Home Woes Continue; T's Fall 9-5 - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.