Bees Drop Game Three to Wisconsin, 3-1August 2, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Burlington Bees
A.J. Cole made his 14th start for the Bees on Thursday and only made a few mistakes that eventually sunk the Bees. Cole breezed through his first three innings, but ran into trouble in the fourth.
The first two batters reached on unlucky plays for the Bees. Max Walla hit a ground ball to Max Muncy at first base, but the ball took an unfortunate hop and smacked Muncy in the shoulder. The next batter, Brandon Macias hit a ground ball that went off Cole's leg and led to an infield single. Cole record two outs before he al- lowed an RBI single to Mike Garza to tie the game 1-to-1.
Unfortunately things only got worse for Cole, as the right-hander allowed back-to-back home runs to Yadiel Rivera and Chadwin Stang with one out in the bottom of the fifth. The Bees trailed 3-to-1 and Cole's afternoon was over after the fifth inning.
The bullpen continued its recent string of scoreless outings. Drew Tyson pitched two scoreless innings and Chas Mye followed with a strong bottom of the eighth. The bullpen has gone 16.2 consecutive innings without allowing a run.
Besides Dixon's solo home run in the top of the fourth, the offense struggled to mount a threat. Max Muncy and Bobby Crocker provided the only other extra-base hits with a triple and a double. Crocker's double came in the top of the ninth with two outs, but Muncy grounded out to the second baseman to end the game.
Once again the Bees failed to reach .500 with their overall and will need a win in game four to avoid losing the series. The Timber Rattlers lead the series having won two games of the first three.
Julio Ramos (0-0) takes the hill in game four on Friday. First pitch of game four is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CT. For more information on Bees baseball call (319) 754-5705 or visit www.gobees.com.
Midwest League Stories from August 2, 2012
- LumberKings outlast Kernels, 7-5, in 10 innings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Snappers Fall Short 7-5 - Beloit Snappers
- Cougars Hold off Snappers in Carl's Return - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Ride Segovia's Grand Slam to Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- River Bandits Clinch Rivertown Showdown with 6-4 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Meyer ties saves record in Lugs' 5-2 win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hawks Hammer TinCaps in 16-0 Laugher - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs Fall 6-4 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Masset Works Scoreless Inning in Dragons' 5-2 Loss - Dayton Dragons
- Caps Flirt With History, Hold On For Shutout - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Tie Franchise Mark in 16-0 Defeat - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Avoid No-Hitter But Fall 6-0 - Lake County Captains
- Bees Drop Game Three to Wisconsin, 3-1 - Burlington Bees
- Back-To-Back Homers Propel Rattlers To Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Carl Returns - Kane County Cougars
- Jesse Hernandez Returns to Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Eddy Rodriguez Becomes 53rd Former Dragon in MLB - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Announce Two-Year Extension with Blue Jays - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons and Vectren Present 2012 "Community All-Stars" - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for August 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Captains to Have Roberto Hernandez as Starter on Sunday - Lake County Captains
- Perez, Gonzalez Selected as Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.