Washington Out-Slugs RascalsAugust 1, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
For the third-straight home game, River City (33-35) scored first, this time a single run in the first inning. Eric Williams walked to start the frame and moved to third on an overthrown pickoff attempt before Ben Hewett drove a pitch to center for a sacrifice fly and 1-0 Rascal lead.
Washington (28-39) responded with two runs in the second. After a double and walk started the inning, a botched double play allowed a run to score before the WildThings hit a sac-fly of their own to take a 2-1 lead. River City took that lead right back.
Doug Sanders singled to start the inning before, with two outs, Curran Redal hit a laser to right-center for his fourth homerun to give River City a 3-2 lead. A five-run, five-hit Washington third that was complicated by another Rascal error put the WildThings on top 7-3 and chased starting pitcher Tony Marsala (4-5) after just 2 1/3 innings, his shortest outing of the year.
River City got two of those runs back in the bottom of the third when Sanders singled in Patton after he reached on an error to start the inning before Chris Andreas doubled him to third and scored himself on a wild pitch to make the score 7-5. Patton launched his eighth homerun to start the fifth inning to close the gap to 7-6 but that would be as close as River City's comeback would get.
River City used three pitchers to get out of the sixth inning with just one run scored by Washington but the WildThings would add three more in the top of the eighth for an 11-6 lead before the Rascals added another run on an RBI triple from Jeremy Synan in the bottom of the inning but could not get the tying run to the plate in the ninth.
River City looks to salvage a game on Thursday when rookie Justin Sarratt (0-1, 4.76) takes the mound against Washington's Chris Smith (7-4, 2.93).
Frontier League Stories from August 1, 2012
- Washington Out-Slugs Rascals - River City Rascals
- ThunderBolts defeat Traverse City - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Big Inning Leads Warriors Past Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Things Take Second Straight Series with 11-7 Win - Washington Wild Things
- Beach Bums Fall in Extra Inning Heartbreaker - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Evansville Comes Back for Season High Fourth Straight Win - Evansville Otters
- Calhoun Shuts out CornBelters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Score Five in Seventh, Top Slammers 6-3 - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom's Late Rally Comes up Short - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Whitewashed by Southern Illinois 3-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers Hold off Florence - Schaumburg Boomers
- August 1 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom to Go Nuts About No-Peanuts - Florence Freedom
- Miners Trade Sandford and Collazo to Washington - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers score four in the ninth, beat Rockford, 5-4 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Hawks Lose Walkoff - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.