Third Time in Four Games Saints Are Walk-Off Winners, 7-6 over RedHawks in 11 InningsJuly 30, 2012 - American Association (AA) St. Paul Saints
With the Saints trailing 5-3 going into the bottom of the ninth and facing the league leader in saves, Tom Boleska, the Saints would find a way to tie the game. Jose Hernandez, who hit the walk-off homer on Sunday afternoon, led off with a single. With one out Miles Durham singled Hernandez to second. That brought up Jon Townsend, who on June 11 won a game in the 11th with an RBI double off of Boleska. He brought back shaded of that game with a double to deep center driving in both runs to tie the game at five. Alex Garabedian grounded out to third which moved Townsend to third, but Joe Spiers lined out to right to end the inning.
In the top of the 10th Nic Jackson reached on a one out single. He then stole second on a call that Saints manager George Tsamis came out to argue. He was thrown out of the ballgame. The next hitter Eric Campbell hit a sinking liner to center that Jim Rapoport dove for, but came up empty and the ball rolled past him for an RBI triple. Saints reliever Chris Odegaard, however, came up huge by striking out the final two hitters of the inning.
' Leaving the runner stranded at third proved to be a big moment because in the bottom of the 10th Ole Sheldon reached on a one out single. He was replaced by pinch runner Jake Krause. With two outs Hernandez hit a grounder to third, that hit the bag, was fielded by Campbell, but his throw to first went high over the head of the first baseman and into foul territory allowing Krause to score the tying run.
After Odegaard pitched a perfect top of the 11th the Saints would win it in the bottom of the 11th. Miles Durham led off with a triple off the right-center field wall. With the infield in Jon Townsend lined out to second. Alex Garabedian followed with a walk and Joe Spiers was hit by a pitch to load the bases. With the infield in Adam Frost hit a high chopper that glanced off the top of Zach Penprase's glove at short and into left-center scoring Durham for the game winner. Durham finished the night 3-5 with two triples, two RBI, three runs scored and a stolen base.
The Saints have now won six straight and trail the Winnipeg Goldeyes by 2.0 games in the Wild Card standings.
The same two teams meet in game two of the four game series on Tuesday night at Midway Stadium at 7:05 p.m. The Saints send RHP Robert Coe (8-3, 3.59) to the mound against RHP Alex Caldera (8-1, 3.25). It is St. Paddy's Day in July. The game can be heard on Club 1220 KLBB and in the ballpark on 87.9 FM.
American Association Stories from July 30, 2012
- Abercrombie Hits Walk-Off Homer in Debut - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Third Time in Four Games Saints Are Walk-Off Winners, 7-6 over RedHawks in 11 Innings - St. Paul Saints
- Big Inning Leads Wingnuts Past Sox - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Double Header Tuesday at 6 PM; All Berm Tickets $1 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Abercrombie Returns to Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- "Mr. Belding" to be at T-Bones Game on August 2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Re-Acquire 2009 MVP - Wichita Wingnuts
- Winnipeg Goldeyes/Winnipeg Harvest Team up for Tools for School - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Rookie Pitcher Luke Anderson Earns American Association Pitcher of the Week - St. Paul Saints
- Jackson Named Batter of the Week - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lincoln Blasts X's with Big Seventh - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Walk Offs Continue As Diablos Sweep Sox - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.