Diablos Rally In Ninth Falls ShortJuly 20, 2012 - American Association (AA) El Paso Diablos
El Paso jumped out to a 3-0 first inning lead but squandered it over the next several innings. The Saltdogs took the lead for good with a four run fifth to jump ahead 6-3, knocking out Diablos starter Steven Evarts (0-1) after just four innings.
Lincoln starter Ryan Sheldon (5-2) settled down after the rocky first, surrendering just one more run over his six and a third total innings, striking out six and walking just two.
With the score 8-4 into the final frame, Welington Dotel hit a three-run triple to bring the Diablos to within one run. Then, with two outs, a passed ball to the backstop sent Dotel sprinting for home plate. Pitcher Brandon Cooney applied the tag and Dotel was called out on a close play, ending the game.
The two teams will continue the series on Saturday at 7:05 p.m.
American Association Stories from July 20, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Sheldon Strong, 'Dogs Win Nail Biter on Play at Plate - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Rally In Ninth Falls Short - El Paso Diablos
- Garceau Stymies Grand Prairie - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Snap One AirHogs Streak, Extend Another - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Even Out the Series - Laredo Lemurs
- Wingnuts Fall to RedHawks - Wichita Wingnuts
- Two Homers Power Pheasants over Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Tsamis Wins 500th as Saints Manager with Team's Sixth Straight, 7-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Fish Clipped by Pheasants, Series Even - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Saturday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Diablos Announce July 20-22 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Saltdogs Enjoy Encouraging Lincoln Kids to Read - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Matt Nevarez Purchased by Rays - Wichita Wingnuts
- Blue Jays Sign Pheasants Closer Evans - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pheasants Lose Late Lead to Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Power Past Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.