Miller Dazzles in Complete Game Four-HitterJuly 18, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Clinton LumberKings
The complete game is the first of Miller's career. He allowed one run on four hits with his lone mistake coming in the second inning to Ryan Wright who homered to give the Dragons (9-16, second half) a 1-0 lead. The right-hander did not allow a walk and struck out five. In 102 2/3 innings, Miller has walked 12 and struck out 71.
Clinton came back quickly in the third inning to tie the game. Guillermo Pimentel and Mike Dowd had consecutive singles to start the fourth and moved up 90 feet on nthony Phillips' sacrifice bunt. Leadoff hitter Dillon Hazlett hit a fly ball to right, deep enough to score Pimentel and knot the game at 1-1. It was Hazlett's first RBI since June 30th as the second baseman has been hitting in the leadoff spot in recent weeks.
The LumberKings took advantage of a big error by Dragons shortstop Sammy Diaz in the fourth. They loaded the bases with one out on a single by Ramon Morla and a pair of walks by Kevin Rivers and Jabari Blash. Pimentel lined out to Diaz for the second out but the shortstop threw the ball into right field trying to double off Rivers at second. Morla scored on the error and Rivers and Blash moved to third and second. Catcher Mike Dowd followed with a two- run single to center that gave Clinton a 4-1 lead.
The rest of the night belonged to Miller and the LumberKings defense. Miller got stellar play behind him from Anthony Phillips, Dillon Hazlett and Ji-Man Choi who each made a number of defensive gems. Miller pitched six 1-2-3 innings en route to his sixth win of the year.
The two teams will play game two of the series on Thursday night at Fifth Third Field. Clinton sits in a three-way tie for first place with Kane County and Burlington. Right-hander Seon-Gi Kim (2-2, 4.67) gets the ball for the LumberKings and right-hander Jacob Johnson (1-2, 4.69) starts for Dayton. First pitched is scheduled for 6:07 CST.
Midwest League Stories from July 18, 2012
- Miller Dazzles in Complete Game Four-Hitter - Clinton LumberKings
- Suarez Celebrates Birthday, Leads 'Caps to Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- McMahan blasts game-winning homer in tenth for Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Quad Cities Manages Just Three Hits in 7-1 Loss to Captains - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Lose 9-8 in 10 on Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps Blank Kernels in Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rickles Lifts Bees in Ninth, Win 4-3 in South Bend - Burlington Bees
- Longballs Fuel Hot Rods to Checkered Flag - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps tame Kernels bats, 6-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Blanked in Bowling Green - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Win Streak Extended to Five with 7-1 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Bees Rally for Series-Opening Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Clinton Blows by Dragons 4-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Lansing/Beloit rained out, twinbill Thursday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Moreno Rejoins Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Tonight's Game Cancelled against Lansing Lugnuts - Beloit Snappers
- Shipers Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Illini Night with Coach Groce on August 28 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Release Mobile Site Update with Social Media Platform - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Goncalves Promoted to Ft. Myers - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Gameday for July 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.