Furious Comeback Falls Short in Extra-Inning LossJuly 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Bowling Green Hot Rods
Before the late inning dramatics, the Hot Rods managed to erase an early Lake County lead of 1-0 by scoring two runs in the bottom of third inning. Tyler Goeddel, the team's ninth hitter, recorded the Hot Rods first hit of the game immediately following a Keith Castillo walk. Ryan Brett then singled up the middle to score Castillo from second base, tying the score at one run apiece. The next batter was Jake Hager, who grounded out to shortstop with one out to score Goeddel to place the Hot Rods in a 2-1 advantage.
However, the Captains outscored the Hot Rods 5-1 from that point until the bottom of the ninth inning. Captain closer Jeff Johnson, who was on to attempt his 13th save, recorded one out in the ninth but was forced to leave due to injury. Francisco Valera then came in and walked the first three men that he faced. The first of the three ninth-inning runs scored on a Keith Castillo fielder's choice groundout. Motter then came to the plate and doubled down the line in left to score two runners to tie the score. Motter was stranded, though, on second base on a Goeddel strikeout.
The Captains eventually broke the 6-6 tie in the top of the eleventh, scoring the eventual winning run on a dropped fly ball error. With wins in the first two games of the series, though, the Hot Rods still will come away with a series victory over Lake County. At home this season, the Hot Rods are an impressive 28-16 and have won 11 of 14 series. The loss on Monday night marks the third time in four tries in 2012 that the Hot Rods have been unable to sweep an opponent at Bowling Green Ballpark.
With the three-game homestand in the rear-view mirror, the Hot Rods start a stretch of 12 straight against the Western Division with the first of a three-game series in Burlington, IA, on Wednesday night at 6:30 PM CDT. The Hot Rods will give the start to RHP Jake Floethe (8-1, 3.92). Tune in to the game on your home for all 140 Hot Rods regular season games, WBGN-AM 1340 "The Ticket". The Forever Communications Pregame Show with Hank Fuerst begins at 6:10 PM CDT.
Midwest League Stories from July 9, 2012
- Furious Comeback Falls Short in Extra-Inning Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Mateo Leads River Bandits to 10-7 Win in Finale with Clinton - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Granier Remarkable in Bees' Win, 3-0 - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Hopes of Sweep Turned Away, 8-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers Shutout by Bees' Granier - Beloit Snappers
- Hawks Hammer TinCaps, Sweep Series - South Bend Silver Hawks
- TinCaps Fall 10-2, Lose Fourth Straight - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Stamets walk-off double gives Kernels 4-3 win over Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Ninth Inning Rain Delay Ruins Chiefs Day - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers Roar Back To Top Cougars - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Lose Series to T-Rats - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Yorman Rodriguez Wins League Batter of the Week Award - Dayton Dragons
- Collier Fans 11 As Whitecaps Avoid Sweep - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Collier helps Whitecaps avoid sweep, 6-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: July 11-16 - Kane County Cougars
- Denny McClain to Visit Bees July 16th - Burlington Bees
- David Rollins Placed on DL - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.