Mallards Go for Sweep of Rafters on Independence DayJuly 4, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Madison Mallards
On Friday the Mallards exorcised some of their road demons that had haunted them all season by holding on for a 7-4 win against the Rafters. Offensively the Mallards were led by right fielder Tyler Marincov (North Florida) and left fielder Jack Livingston (Northwestern), who drove in two RBIs each.
Livingston has hit his stride with the Mallards. With last nights 2-4 performance the lefty extended his hitting streak to 10 games.
Making his first start of the season for the Mallards today will be left-hander Daniel Gibson (Florida). Gibson (1-1) has already made two bullpen appearances and earned decisions both times out since joining the team on June 28th. In his last appearance he threw a scoreless ninth inning of relief to setup the Mallards for a 9-8 comeback win over the La Crosse Loggers (25-9) on June 30th.
Taking the ball for the Rafters is left-hander Tommy Organ (North Florida). Through six starts Organ (0-3) has struggled to establish himself, coming into today's matchup with a 6.75 ERA and no wins. In his last start he was tagged with the loss after giving up six runs on eight hits over 4.1 innings during the Rafters 9-1 loss to the Lakeshore Chinooks (16-18). Organ has some history against the Mallards, going 5.0 innings and allowing one run and nine hits in the Rafters 4-3 loss to the Mallards on June 4th.
Marincov hasn't just been a home run threat for the Mallards, his 18 extra base hits lead the Northwoods League.
The Mallards return to the "Duck Pond" on Thursday July 5th to begin a three game series with the Eau Claire Express (11-22). That night will be the Jay Hazen Dentistry for Madison Vintage Bobble Boy giveaway and Badger Honor Flight Military Appreciation Night.
The 2012 season is upon us! Single-game tickets are on-sale for all Mallards home games!
The Madison Mallards are part of the 16-team Northwoods League. The Northwoods League has more teams, plays more games, and draws more fans than any other Summer Collegiate Baseball League in North America.
Northwoods League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Honkers Fall to Border Cats 4-3 - Rochester Honkers
- Bombers Fall Short in 1st Half Finale - Battle Creek Bombers
- Record Breaking MoonDogs Sweep Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Rox End First Half on High Note - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers' 13 Hits Not Enough in 8-7 Loss - Willmar Stingers
- Bullfrogs Sweep Wisconsin - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chucks Finish First Half 17-18 After 9-5 Loss - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Beetles' Blasts Top Willmar - Alexandria Beetles
- Rafters Finish First Half Behind Organ's First Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Split with Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Mallards Go for Sweep of Rafters on Independence Day - Madison Mallards
- Rox Drop Close One to Huskies - St. Cloud Rox
- Three Homers Lead Stingers to 12-6 Victory at Alexandria - Willmar Stingers
- Beetles Succumb to Stingers - Alexandria Beetles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.