Wingnuts Add Former NBC World Series MVPJuly 3, 2012 - American Association (AA) Wichita Wingnuts
Bergeron (pronounced BAR-jer-ahn) recently finished a four-year career at Nicholls State University in Louisiana. A first baseman, Bergeron hit .278 with seven home runs and 37 RBI in 54 games played during his senior season. The right-handed hitting Bergeron starred in the 2010 National Baseball Congress World Series for the Liberal Bee Jays, hitting .361 with three home runs and 15 RBI in eight games to capture MVP honors and lead the Bee Jays to the tournament championship.
Mitchell hit .350 with 65 runs scored, 16 doubles, four triples, five home runs, and 37 RBI in 63 games as a senior this spring at Belmont University in Tennessee. A second baseman, Mitchell was hit by a pitch 30 times, while drawing 29 walks against just 12 strikeouts. The left-handed hitting Mitchell stole 20 bases in 23 attempts and finished the season with a .482 on-base percentage. Mitchell struck out just 35 times in 460 at bats during his final two seasons at Belmont.
"We've heard pretty good things about both of these guys," said Wingnuts' manager Kevin Hooper. They are straight out of college, and we are going to give them a chance. "I get excited about bringing new guys in and watching them play for the first time.
"I think Zac is a guy like myself, who is going to put the ball in play a lot and do whatever he can to get on base. Blake has a lot of pop in his bat. He is a good defensive first baseman who can also play third here and there."
The pair of rookies are in tonight's starting lineup at Grand Prairie, and will both be making their professional debut.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. Derek Blacksher faces right-hander Ramon Garcia. All the action can be heard locally on Oldies 92.7 KWME and worldwide at www.pressboxproductionsradio.com
The Wingnuts return home on Wednesday, July 11th when they host the Kansas City T-Bones. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
American Association Stories from July 3, 2012
- Big Eighth Inning Propels Saints to 13-6 Win over Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Finally Win Series in Lincoln...But at Home - St. Paul Saints
- Kansas City Rallies to Beat Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wiley Shuts off Sioux Falls Rally in Kansas City Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Sioux City Prevails in Extras Again - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Falter in the Ninth - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Fall in 10th as Streak Hits Seven - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Jump out Early, Hold on Late - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs Hang on against Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wingnuts Add Former NBC World Series MVP - Wichita Wingnuts
- Day Picked up by Astros - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Goldeyes Welcome Back de Caster, Move Martinez - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.