Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the MonthJuly 2, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Los Angeles Sparks
Parker, who also earned Western Conference Player of the Month presented by Boost Mobile honors in May, helped the Sparks to a 6-5 mark in June while leading the conference in rebounds (10.2 rpg) and blocks (2.7 bpg), and ranking second in scoring (18.8 ppg). Twice in June Parker was named the Western Conference Player of the Week presented by Boost Mobile as she notched six double-doubles in 10 contests.
Highlights of Parker's month included:
- Game highs of 33 points, 16 rebounds (including 13 defensive boards), eight assists, and five blocks while contributing three steals in an 87-81 road win over Connecticut June 13.
- Tallied 33 points, nine blocks, and eight rebounds in a 95-79 victory over Tulsa June 20. Became third player in WNBA history to post nine or more blocks (the late Margo Dydek and Lisa Leslie each recorded a 10-block game, and Dydek swatted away nine shots three other times).
- Recorded 25 points, 13 rebounds, and four assists in a 94-80 defeat at the hands of the San Antonio Silver Stars June 28.
- Posted a 23-point, 10-rebound effort in a 90-74 victory over Phoenix June 8.
The 2008 WNBA MVP and Rookie of the Year has been named Player of the Week in the Western Conference three times in six weeks this season.
The Connecticut Sun's Tina Charles was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Month presented by Boost Mobile. Charles paced the conference in blocks (1.5 bpg), was second in rebounds (11.5 rpg), and fourth in scoring (17.9 ppg). Charles recorded a double-double in six of 10 contests, scoring at least 20 points five times.
The Sparks look to defend their home court in a three-game homestand starting Thursday at Noon when they take on the defending champion Minnesota Lynx at STAPLES Center. They finish with back-to-back games, Saturday at 7:00PM against the Seattle Storm on ESPN2 and Sunday at 5:30PM against the Atlanta Dream on KDOC.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 2, 2012
- Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the Month - Los Angeles Sparks
- Atlanta Dream Skills Academy in Winston July 16 - Atlanta Dream
- Charles Named Player of the Month - Connecticut Sun
- Connecticut's Charles and Los Angeles' Parker Named Players of the Month - WNBA
- Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Week - Atlanta Dream
- Indiana Acquires Karima Christmas in Trade with Tulsa Shock - Indiana Fever
- Shock Acquires Roneeka Hodges - Tulsa Shock
- Dream's McCoughtry and Silver Stars' Young Take Weekly Honors - WNBA
- Sun Spotlights The Arc New London County - Connecticut Sun
- Sparks Waive Guard Coco Miller - Los Angeles Sparks
- Phoenix Mercury's Samantha Prahalis Named Rookie of the Month for June - WNBA
- New York Liberty Waives Kelly Miller - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.