Charles Named Player of the MonthJuly 2, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Connecticut Sun
This marks the first season that Boost Mobile - the leaguewide marquee partner of the WNBA - has presented the WNBA Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month awards. Candace Parker of the Los Angeles Sparks received the award for the Western Conference.
In leading the Sun to a 7-3 record, Charles paced the conference in blocks (1.5 bpg), was second in rebounds (11.5 rpg), and fourth in scoring (17.9 ppg). Charles recorded a double-double in six of 10 contests, scoring at least 20 points five times. For the week of June 11-17, Charles was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week presented by Boost Mobile.
Highlights of Charles' month included:
With eight rebounds vs. Indiana on June 19, became the fastest player in league history to reach 900 career boards, doing so in her 79th game to surpass the mark of 83 games set by Yolanda Griffith.
Recorded 23 points, pulled down 22 rebounds, and hit a pair of free throws with 3.1 seconds left to give the Sun its first lead of the game in a in a 75-73 win at Atlanta on June 17. In the process, became the first player in WNBA history to log three 20-20 games in a career.
Scored 30 points, the second-highest total of her career, in a 94-86 win over Washington June 3.
Tallied 20 points and 12 rebounds in loss to the defending champion Minnesota Lynx June 1.
Led Connecticut past Atlanta, 92-73, with a 22-point, 11-rebound effort June 10.
The WNBA Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month presented by Boost Mobile are part of a series of on- court performance awards called the WNBA Performance Awards presented by Boost Mobile. The series, currently in its first season, also includes the WNBA Players of the Week presented by Boost Mobile and four of the WNBA's most prestigious year-end honors: WNBA Most Valuable Player presented by Boost Mobile, WNBA Defensive Player of the Year presented by Boost Mobile, WNBA Sixth Woman presented by Boost Mobile, and WNBA Most Improved Player presented by Boost Mobile.
For more information on these Players of the Month presented by Boost Mobile winners, visit www.wnba.com/awards.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 2, 2012
- Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the Month - Los Angeles Sparks
- Atlanta Dream Skills Academy in Winston July 16 - Atlanta Dream
- Charles Named Player of the Month - Connecticut Sun
- Connecticut's Charles and Los Angeles' Parker Named Players of the Month - WNBA
- Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Week - Atlanta Dream
- Indiana Acquires Karima Christmas in Trade with Tulsa Shock - Indiana Fever
- Shock Acquires Roneeka Hodges - Tulsa Shock
- Dream's McCoughtry and Silver Stars' Young Take Weekly Honors - WNBA
- Sun Spotlights The Arc New London County - Connecticut Sun
- Sparks Waive Guard Coco Miller - Los Angeles Sparks
- Phoenix Mercury's Samantha Prahalis Named Rookie of the Month for June - WNBA
- New York Liberty Waives Kelly Miller - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.