Schult Pitches Slammers Past RiverHawksJuly 1, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Rockford RiverHawks
After scoring 49 runs in the past four games, the Rockford bats went silent.
Schult (3-2) allowed only one run on five hits, striking out five. Rockford's Cody Hallahan (1-5) got the loss, giving up four runs in 6 1/3 innings pitched.
Rockford grabbed a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning on a two-out RBI double by Matt Greener. With two outs in the top of the second inning, Joliet's Erik Lis doubled. Kyle Maunus followed by launching a two-run home run to left, his third of the season, to give the Slammers a 2-1 advantage.
Joliet added insurance runs in the fourth and fifth innings on an RBI double by Davis Fox and sacrifice fly by Abel Nieves to stretch the lead to 4-1.
Schult gave way to Chase Doremus with two outs and runners on second and third base in the seventh inning. Doremus struck out leadoff man Ted Obregon to get out of the inning.
Amalio Diaz pitched a scoreless ninth inning to pick up his ninth save of the season.
Evan Button went 2-for-4 with a double for Rockford. The RiverHawks fell to 15-25 on the season.
The series wraps up on Monday night at 7:05 p.m. The RiverHawks send righty Drew Rucinski (3-1, 3.06 ERA) to the mound, and the Slammers counter with righty Steven Maxwell (4-3, 3.76 ERA).
Tomorrow is Veterans Appreciation Night at RiverHawks Stadium. Players will be wearing camouflage jerseys, with a jersey auction being held. Additionally, a drum corps will be in attendance and a colorguard will be presenting the American Flag during the Star-Spangled Banner.
The RiverHawks are members of the Frontier League, an independent professional baseball league in its 20th season. Games are broadcast on NTA-FM (100.5) Advertising and ticket information is available by calling (815) 885-2255. Fans can also visit www.rockfordriverhawks.com.
Frontier League Stories from July 1, 2012
- Bullock's Gem Guides Evansville to 2-0 Win over Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Dominate Normal - River City Rascals
- Slammers Snap Four Game Skid - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Shutout Miners for Third Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Schult Pitches Slammers Past RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Shutout in Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Announce Time Change for July 3rd and July 4th - Gateway Grizzlies
- CornBelters Walloped by River City - Normal CornBelters
- Lake Erie Crushers Split DH with Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Mozingo's Walk-Off Double Caps Ninth Inning Rally - Schaumburg Boomers
- Boomers Rally to Snap Beach Bums Win Streak - Traverse City Beach Bums
- July 1 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Rippers Grab Canada Day Win in Grand Fashion - London Rippers
- RiverHawks release pitcher - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums' Langbehn Named East Division All-Star Manager - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Max Peterson Has Contract Purchased by White Sox - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Lose Fourth-Straight - River City Rascals
- Offense Carries Grizzlies to Win over Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Lose Series Opener to Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.