Sogard Gives River Cats 1-0, Walk-Off Win in ExtrasJune 29, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Sacramento River Cats
Each starting pitcher was on top of his game, combining on 15 scoreless innings with 13 strikeouts. Each team threatened to score multiple times, highlighted by a bases-loaded, one-out rally from the Cats in the bottom of the ninth, but neither team broke through until the bottom of the 10th.
To leadoff the frame, Rosales singled to center field on a ball that was trapped by Kole Calhoun. The next batter, Jermaine Mitchell, bunted Rosales into scoring position, bringing Sogard to the plate for the chance to be a hero. Sogard laced a line drive down the left field line. Rosales, who was sprinting on contact, easily scored the winning run, sealing the 1-0 River Cat victory.
Starting pitcher Travis Banwart struck out eight, allowing four hits and one walk in seven shutout innings in a no-decision. Pedro Figueroa pitched two scoreless innings of relief and Erick Threets earned the win with a perfect 10th inning. Grant Green finished 3-for-4, while Sogard went 1-for-4 with the game-winning RBI.
The 1-0 win is the first for the River Cats since April 15, 2007. The River Cats were 0-7 in 1-0 games in the interim. The victory also avoids what would have been the first time the Cats had been swept the season.
The Colorado Springs Sky Sox come to town on a Sutter Health Fireworks Saturday for the first of a four-game set at Raley Field. River Cats All-Star Graham Godfrey (7-0, 2.18 ERA) will take on Sky Sox righty Alex White (1-3, 2.92 ERA) on a night where the River Cats will celebrate Forever Green: The 100th Anniversary of the Girl Scouts. The celebration, as well as a giveaway of evergreen seedlings to the first 2,500 fans through the gate, are presented by Esurance.
The current River Cats homestand culminates on July 3 for the team's Independence Celebration, where they will be hosting a pre-game BBQ at 5:00 p.m. The first 2,500 fans through the gate for the 6:35 p.m. game will receive an American flag courtesy of the U.S. Army, and Sutter Health will produce a Fireworks Extravaganza after the game.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 29, 2012
- Aces Cruise Past Grizzlies, 11-3 - Reno Aces
- Padres fall to Sky Sox - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Shut Out By Las Vegas, 4-0 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sogard Gives River Cats 1-0, Walk-Off Win in Extras - Sacramento River Cats
- Adams Adamant against Albuquerque - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Topes Battered by 'Birds, 9-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Lopez, Cubs Shutout RedHawks, 7-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Storm Chasers Put Away the Zephyrs, 8-3, on Friday Night - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Deafen Round Rock Express 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Evade RedHawks Swoop in Shutout - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Takes Series with 2-0 Shutout in Round Rock - Nashville Sounds
- Chasers Defeat Zephyrs 8-3, Win Series - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Express Host New Orleans To Conclude Home Stand Series Concludes With Independence Day Fireworks Cel - Round Rock Express
- Sky Sox Release Patriotic Independence Week Schedule of Events - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Storm Chasers to Host the 20th Anniversary Sandlot Tour - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces-Diamondbacks Extend Partnership Through 2016 - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes: June 29, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Nashville Sounds - Round Rock Express
- July 4th Berm Seating Goes on Sale Tomorrow - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Foiled By 51s Luis Jimenez, Adam Moore homer for Tacoma - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Fall 11-8 to Fresno - Reno Aces
- River Cats Bested by Bees, 10-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Tucson beats Colorado Springs - Tucson Padres
- Chasers Zapped by the Zephyrs, Lose 12-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Topes Rally by Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.