The Third Heidenreich: Dash Blank Sox 8-0June 25, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Salem Red Sox
Heidenreich remained perfect into the fifth inning, retiring the first 13 batters he faced before Xander Bogaerts singled with one out in the fifth. A couple pitches later, Michael Almanzar grounded into an inning-ending double play, the first of three twin-killers that the Dash would turn in the ballgame. Although Heidenreich only struck out three batters, he created 14 ground outs and never needed to face more than four batters in any inning. Of his 98 pitches, 69 of them were strikes.
Salem starter Miguel Celestino was not nearly as sharp. Lasting just two innings, Celestino allowed a season-high seven earned runs, six of them coming on two boisterous swings from Thompson in the first and Shoemaker in the second. The Dash pounded seven hits against Celestino, five of them going for extra bases, and Celestino's ERA rose from 3.06 to 3.88.
Manny Rivera dealt four scoreless innings out of the Salem bullpen, working around three hits and three walks to escape unscathed, while the Dash scored their eighth run of the game against Ryan Pressly, who permitted one run on four hits in two innings of work.
Shoemaker and Dan Black led the Dash with three hits apiece, although every member of the Winston starting nine finished with at least one knock. One day after five Red Sox delivered multiple hits, Salem dispersed four hits evenly between Bogaerts, Almanzar, Travis Shaw, and Sean Coyle.
With the four-game series even at one win apiece, the Sox and Dash continue their set on Tuesday at 7 PM. Salem has not announced a starter, while Winston-Salem will send Steve McCray to the hill.
Carolina League Stories from June 25, 2012
- Latest Additions Snap Long Slide - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- 29 Feels Fine in Keys Win - Frederick Keys
- Jackson Strong in A-Advanced Debut, But Birds Fall 3-2 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Cats Stuck in the Mud - Carolina Mudcats
- The Third Heidenreich: Dash Blank Sox 8-0 - Salem Red Sox
- P-Nats Lose No-Hitter, Lead Late to Wilmington - Potomac Nationals
- Heidenreich Delivers Complete Game Shutout - Winston-Salem Dash
- Milligan Carries Offense in 3-2 Nail-Biter - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Aaron Baker Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Frederick Keys
- No-No Powers Northcraft to CL "Pitcher of the Week" Honors - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Cole Kimball Joins P-Nats on Rehab Assignment - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.