Blue Rocks Game NotesJune 21, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Wilmington Blue Rocks
ROSTER MOVES: With the second half underway, the Wilmington roster has had some changes. Marimon got the call to Double-A Northwest Arkansas along with infielders Brian Fletcher and Alex McClure. Meanwhile, two fresh faces have joined Wilmington from Low-A Kane County in shortstop Orlando Calixte and outfielder Lane Adams.
DASHED: In Sunday's first-half finale, the Winston-Salem Dash (44-25-1) edged out the Wilmington Blue Rocks in 10 innings at Frawley Stadium, 6-5. Wilmington is assured of a losing record against the Dash both overall and at home this year. During their head-to-head meetings, Winston-Salem has outscored Wilmington, 79-50. The Dash owns a .287 team batting average and 2.61 ERA while the Blue Crew has a slim .235 contact clip and a gaudy 5.18 ERA.
PEBBLES OF KNOWLEDGE: Sunday's setback sported the Rocks' largest blown lead of the season...Wilmington at one point led 4-1...With four swipes, the Dash tied for the most steals in a game by a Wilmington foe this year...That also occurred on May 2 against Salem...While the Blue Crew collected double-digit hits for the first time since May 30, 11 of its 12 knocks were singles.
DIRTY DOZEN: The Blue Rocks have just one win since a June 5 defeat of Carolina, 5-2. The Mudcats returned the favor by the same score the next day. That marked the first of 11 losses among the Rocks' final 12 games of the first half.
OVER THE HILL: Wilmington took its 41st loss of the half on Sunday. It is the first time the Rocks have reached that mark since the second stanza of the disastrous 2005 season. That year's club dropped 41 games in the second half and finished with the worst record in franchise history at 60-80. The team record for most losses in a first half is 41, originally set by the 2000 squad and matched on Sunday. Going 29-41 on a half is the equivalent of a Major League team going 67-95.
UNDER THE SEA: With the loss, the Blue Rocks dropped to a season-worst 12 games under .500. They have not been this far below sea level since 2005.
BOMBS AWAY: Winston-Salem has hit more than twice as many home runs (15) as any other CL squad (7) against Wilmington. Lynchburg, Myrtle Beach and Salem all own seven round-trippers against Wilmington pitching. Cyle Hankerd (4) and Dan Black (3) alone have equaled that.
SEE YA: Juan Graterol was the first Blue Rocks player to be ejected this season. It came in the bottom of the fourth inning when he struck out looking against Jake Petricka. Graterol argued with home plate umpire Jeremy Riggs before being tossed. It was the third straight day that someone was ejected. Winston-Salem skipper Tommy Thompson was heaved for arguing an overturned call on Friday while Wilmington manager Vance Wilson was ejected on Saturday for arguing the strike zone. Both managerial ejections came from Lawrence Reeves.
ON THE CHASE: Chase Boruff made his first professional start on Sunday afternoon. He went 3.1 innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on three hits and one strikeout. His first 62 pro appearances had all come in relief.
Carolina League Stories from June 21, 2012
- P-Nats Walk-Off in Extras to Start Second Half - Potomac Nationals
- Mudcats Overwhelm Blue Rocks, 7-3 - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Aguilar, Wolters Shine in Rout of Blue Rocks - Carolina Mudcats
- Unearned Run Pushes Potomac to Win in 10th - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Stumble Late for Seventh Consecutive Loss - Frederick Keys
- Pelicans Two-Hit Keys to Start Second Half - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Epic Rain Postpones Second-Half Opener - Salem Red Sox
- 'Cats and Sox Postponed Due to Weather - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Ventura to Play in Futures Game, Myers & Odorizzi Too - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- INF Mark DeRosa Rehabbing with Potomac Tonight - Potomac Nationals
- Bundy Selected to Futures All-Star Game - Frederick Keys
- Carlos Sanchez Selected to All-Star Futures Game - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans Face Bundy Saturday in Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.