Hicks Stays Hot, River Cats Beat Grizzlies 10-7June 20, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Sacramento River Cats
The Cats wasted no time putting runs on the board, scoring once in the bottom of the first on a run-scoring fielder's choice from left fielder Kila Ka'aihue. The Grizzlies blew the game open with one run in the second and four in the third off of River Cats starter Graham Godfrey, who led the PCL in ERA and hadn't given up more than three earned runs in any one start all season.
With a four-run deficit to overcome, the River Cats got to work, scoring once in the fourth, five times in the fifth and twice in the sixth, including Hicks' fifth inning, three-run shot to right-center field. The Grizzlies tried to come back with a run in the sixth and one in the eighth, but River Cat Evan Scribner shut the door with a scoreless ninth, earning his team-leading eighth save of the season.
Hicks finished 2-for-4 with four RBIs, a run and a walk. He now has eleven home runs since May 17 and leads active River Cats on the year with 12 long-balls. Brandon Moss, now playing with the A's, had 15 home runs with Sacramento.
Godfrey yielded six earned runs in six innings with 10 hits, two walks and two strikeouts, increasing his ERA to a still PCL-leading 1.93. He earned the win, moving his record to 7-0 on the season. Danny Farquhar gave up one run in 1.2 innings while Scribner and Erick Threets combined on 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Chris Carter went 3-for-3 with two hit-by-pitches and four runs scored. He now has three three-hit games in his last four starts and is hitting .283 with a team-leading 51 RBIs. In addition to Hicks and Carter, Michael Taylor collected multiple hits, finishing 2-for-5 with a run and two RBIs. Ka'aihue went 1-for-4 with two RBIs and a run scored for the second-straight night.
The win brings the River Cats to within 0.5 games of first place in the PCL South Division behind the Grizzlies.
Game three of the series is set for Singles' Night at Raley Field during Miller Lite Thirsty Thursday. Righty Dan Straily (0-0, No ERA) will make his River Cats debut, starting opposite Grizzlies lefty Matt Yourkin (1-3, 8.21 ERA).
2012 River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, Flex Plans and group outings can be purchased by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). Individual game tickets, starting at $8, are available online at ticketmaster.com and at Raley Field's Round Table Pizza Ticket Office. For more information about the 2012 River Cats season, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 20, 2012
- Isotopes 8th Inning Rally too Much for Zephyrs - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Gonzalez's Walk-Off Shot Sinks RedHawks - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Cubs De-"Rale" Express - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Fall to Iowa 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk off against RedHawks on Gonzalez Homer - Nashville Sounds
- Hicks Stays Hot, River Cats Beat Grizzlies 10-7 - Sacramento River Cats
- Chasers Outslugged by the Redbirds, 13-9, on Wednesday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Rainiers Stumble Against Reno, 7-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Use 9th-Inning Rally to Top Rainiers, 7-3 - Reno Aces
- Carpenter Holds Down Padres - Tucson Padres
- 'Topes Ninth Inning Rally Comes up Short in 9-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Cats Power Past Grizzlies, 5-2 - Sacramento River Cats
- Sox Nearly Notch 5th No-Hitter in Franchise History - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.