Two Late Runs Send Columbus to 5-3 Win over CharlotteJune 20, 2012 - International League (IL) Charlotte Knights
Jared Goedert hit a go-ahead RBI double in the top of the 10th inning and the Clippers went on to beat the Knights 5-3 in game three of their four-game series from Knights Stadium. Goedert's double broke a 3-3 tie.
Three batters later, Tim Fedroff, a UNC product, hit a sacrifice-fly RBI to make it a 5-3 Columbus lead. Both runs came off of Charlotte reliever Brian Omogrosso (0-1, 4.35), who was saddled with the loss. Fedroff was 4-4 with a double and one RBI.
Columbus reliever Chris Ray (1-4, 1.80) earned the win after two shutout innings.
Charlotte scored two runs in the sixth inning and scored their final run of the afternoon in the seventh frame. Josh Phegley put the Knights on the scoreboard first with an RBI single in the sixth. Justin Greene later drew a bases-loaded walk in the inning and Charlotte trailed at that point by a score of 3-2.
One inning later, Conor Jackson tied the game with an RBI double. Jackson, who returned from the disabled list on June 17, went 4-5 with a double, a run scored and an RBI. He is 5-14 with four RBIs since returning.
White Sox outfielder Kosuke Fukudome went 1-5 with one strikeout. Fukudome, on a Major League rehab assignment, played the entire game and is now 2-10 for the Knights over the three-day span.
Charlotte starter Charlie Shirek allowed three runs on 10 hits over five innings and did not factor in the decision. He walked two and struck-out five batters. Dan Remenowsky, who was promoted to Charlotte from Birmingham on Tuesday, threw 2.2 scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
The loss was Charlotte's second straight to Columbus. The Knights are now 3-4 against the Clippers this season.
The two teams will conclude their four-game series on Thursday at Knights Stadium. RHP Matt Zaleski will get the nod for Charlotte, while the Clippers will counter with LHP Chris Seddon. Gates open at 6:00 p.m. and first pitch is scheduled for 7:15 p.m.
International League Stories from June 20, 2012
- Indians Beat Gwinnett 10-2 for Fourth-Straight Win - Indianapolis Indians
- G-Braves Routed by Indianapolis, 10-2 - Gwinnett Braves
- PawSox Collapse and Lose Third Straight - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hoffpauir, Chiefs Rally for Extra-Inning Win - Syracuse Chiefs
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Rochester 7, Durham 6 - Rochester Red Wings
- Norfolk Pitchers Dominate Buffalo in 3-1 Victory - Norfolk Tides
- IronPigs Edge Hens, 2-1 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Seeks Assistance in Renaming Team - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Wednesday, June 20 vs. Durham (Rays) - Rochester Red Wings
- Two Late Runs Send Columbus to 5-3 Win over Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Mud Hens & Kroger Host "Food Drive Fridays" - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Norfolk (7:15 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Yankees Plan Tokach Field Takeover - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Carrasco Added to G-Braves Bullpen - Gwinnett Braves
- Another Bats Comeback as Louisville Beats Yankees 5-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.