Kernels shut out Burlington, 8-0June 14, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
Cedar Rapids (29-38) dominated the Bees (30-36) both offensively and defensively, hitting multiple home runs while Burlington struck out 10 times.
Kaleb Cowart hit his ninth home run of the year in the seventh inning. The no-doubter was hit out of the park over the left field advertisements for his first homer in the month of June. It was part of his 4-RBI day at the plate that began with an RBI single in the first inning that scored Alex Yarbrough. Cowart also hit an RBI single in the third inning, along with an RBI double in the eighth to put the game at its final score.
In his professional debut, 2012 draft pick Yarbrough had a lead-off triple to spark a 3-4 day in which he also scored two runs.
Catcher Zach Wright hit his first professional home run in the eighth inning when he pulled a solo shot onto the left field porch.
Frazier Hall also had a stellar day at the plate, finishing 3-5 with an RBI.
Cam Bedrosian pitched a fantastic start, lasting 5 innings while striking out a season-high seven hitters. Aaron Meade, Logan Odom, and Ty Kelley combined for the final four innings and finished the shutout.
Bedrosian (2-5) earned the victory for Cedar Rapids, while Max Perlman (1-3) took a loss for the Bees while going 5 innings. He allowed 8 hits and 5 runs.
The Kernels now begin a three game road trip at Kane County to end the first half of the MWL season. Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM. Fans may also listen on-line at www.kmryradio.com, or www.kernels.com .
After the MWL All-Star break, the Kernels begin the second half of the MWL season by hosting the Beloit Snappers on Friday, June 22 at 6:35 pm. Tickets may be purchased on-line at www.kernels.com, or by calling the Kernels Ticket Office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, and 10 am to 2 pm on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from June 14, 2012
- Kernels shut out Burlington, 8-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Swept at Home by Timber Rattlers - Clinton LumberKings
- Quad Cities Takes Rubber Match with Kane County, 4-3 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Can't Get Sweep, Lose 8-0 to Kernels - Burlington Bees
- Rattlers sweep Clinton with 9-1 win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hawks Humble Captains 9-7 - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Are Playoff Bound - Beloit Snappers
- Wild Win for Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Goeddel Drives in Run in Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Fall 5-3, Eliminated from Playoff Race - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars out of First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts earn come-from-behind 5-4 victory - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Edge Dragons with 9th Inning Run - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Drop Rubber Game, 5-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Castillo Goes to DL, Rodriguez to All-Star Game - MWL
- Bob Dylan to Perform at Parkview Field August 24, 2012 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for June 14 - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Clobber Kernels, 14-9 - Burlington Bees
- 6/14 - Purdue Coach, Schreiber, to Throw out First Pitch (Release Attached) - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Gary Mitchell activated from DL; Jairo Diaz placed on DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.