O'Sullivan, Dickson Star in Loons' WinJune 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Great Lakes Loons
Ryan O'Sullivan (5-4) fired seven shutout innings, avenging a loss in his previous start against West Michigan. The right-hander allowed just three hits and four walks and struck out one. Over his last two starts, O'Sullivan has allowed just one earned run in 15 innings. His start comes one night after Ralston Cash's six shutout innings in South Bend.
O'Sullivan got plenty of offense off the bat of O'Koyea Dickson. The Loons' DH hammered a long drive down the left field line in the third inning that stayed fair over the pole for his sixth home run of the season. Dickson finished the game 3-for-3, reaching base four times.
James Baldwin and Angelo Songco both walked ahead of Dickson's home run, two of the four walks issued by West Michigan starter Tommy Collier (4-5), who lasted seven innings allowing just four hits and was unscored upon outside of Dickson's homer.
Scott Schebler added an RBI single in the eighth.
Matt Shelton recorded his first save of the season. He entered in the eighth with no outs and two on and got out of the jam, then finished the job with three outs in the ninth.
The Loons (30-32) and Whitecaps (30-32) continue their three-game series Sunday afternoon at 1pm ET. Right-hander Arismendy Ozoria (3-3, 4.99) is scheduled to start for the Loons against West Michigan righty Marcelo Carreno (2-4, 3.58). The game will be broadcast live on ESPN 100.9-FM and Espn1009.com.
The Great Lakes Loons are a sixth-year Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and are in the middle of their 5th Anniversary Celebration, which kicked off in August 2011 and will continue throughout the 2012 season. For more information about the Loons, visit Loons.com or call 989-837-BALL.
Midwest League Stories from June 9, 2012
- O'Sullivan, Dickson Star in Loons' Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Grammar, Bees Fall Short, Lose 6-3 to Bandits - Burlington Bees
- Kernels clip Clinton, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers shutout Beloit; Close in on playoff spot - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peoria scores four in the first inning - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Use Late Rally to Get Road Win over Bees - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Burke Brilliant as Cougars Fall - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Drop Series Opener, 9-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Capture 1st Half Eastern Division Title - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lansing Clinches the First Half with Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Vault past Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Keeps Hot Rods Rolling - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Brett Named Rays May Player of the Month - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Alexander Returns, Pounders to Wilmington - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for June 9 - Dayton Dragons
- Peoria sweeps Kernels, 4-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Floethe's Dominance Wins Series for Hot Rods - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.