'Wolves Win Series Opener over Rock CatsJune 8, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Erie SeaWolves
SeaWolves starter James Avery was able to overcome some struggles with command and earned his sixth victory of the year. Over five innings, Avery allowed three runs on four hits and five walks, while striking out two.
Erie spotted Avery a 1-0 lead in the second inning when Corey Jones doubled to left center, scoring Rawley Bishop. In the third inning, Brandon Douglas ripped a one-out single. Nick Castellanos then reached on a fielder's choice, and Douglas advanced to second on an error by Rock Cats' third baseman Deibinson Romero. The next batter, Jordan Lennerton, smashed his 11th homerun of the year to dead center, giving Erie a 4-0 lead.
New Britain cut Erie's lead to 4-3 in the top of the fifth inning. Chris Herrmann reached on a two-out infield single to second, scoring Mark Dolenc. After a walk to Rene Tosoni loaded the bases for the Rock Cats, clean-up hitter Chris Colabello singled to center, scoring Estarlin De Los Santos and Herrmann.
The SeaWolves answered right back with three runs of their own in the bottom half of the fifth. Douglas had an RBI double, Lennerton added an RBI double of his own, and Brian Pounds tripled in Lennerton, making it a 7-3 SeaWolves lead. Erie added one run in the sixth inning when Douglas reached on an error by Romero, his second of the day, and Jamie Johnson scored all the way from first. Erie then added their final run in the seventh when Brian Pounds hammered his third homerun of the year over the wall in left field.
New Britain made things interesting in the eighth, with a solo homerun by Romero (8), and a two-run homer by Dolenc (1). They would add one more run in the ninth with an RBI double by Colabello. That's as close as the Rock Cats would get, as Erie reliever Kenny Faulk closed the door on a SeaWolves victory.
Aaron Thompson (0-2) took the loss for New Britain, going 4 2/3, giving up seven runs (six earned) on eight hits and three walks with one strikeout.
The win improves Erie to 29-30, while the loss drops the Rock Cats to 32-27. The series continues tomorrow night with a 7:05 pm start time. Kelvin De La Cruz (3-5, 3.83 ERA) will go for Erie. New Britain's starter has yet to be announced.
Eastern League Stories from June 8, 2012
- McDade, Ochinko Shine in 9-5 Loss to Bowie - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Use Big Fifth to Win Second Straight - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Outlast Curve in Slugfest, 8-7 - Akron Aeros
- Seesaw Affair Goes to Aeros Despite Late Curve Charge - Altoona Curve
- Middle of the Order Paces Mets Past Thunder, 9-7 - Trenton Thunder
- Den Dekker Leads Offense in 9-7 Win - Binghamton Mets
- Hazelbaker, Rain Ground Squirrels 4-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- 'Wolves Win Series Opener over Rock Cats - Erie SeaWolves
- AutoFair 'Make the Grade' Announces Winner - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Portland - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Glenn to DL, Bailli received from Dunedin - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Little League Hit, Run, and Throw Champions Crowned - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Trenton Thunder - Binghamton Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.