Isotopes Blank Zephyrs 4-0May 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) New Orleans Zephyrs
The Zephyrs went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11 baserunners.
The Isotopes took 1-0 lead in the fourth inning when Luis Cruz blasted fifth home run of the year to left-center field on the first pitch he saw.
New Orleans had runners in scoring position in the bottom of the fourth and fifth innings, getting the leadoff man on base both times, but failed to bring in a run.
In the eighth inning Albuquerque rallied with one out against reliever Gary Glover. Trent Oeltjen drew a walk, and Alex Castellanos then sent a two-run homer over the right-center field wall. Josh Fields singled to right and Jeff Baisley added an RBI single, followed by a sacrifice fly from Cruz that scored Fields for the 4-0 lead.
Gil Velazquez led the offense going 3-for-5, and Nick Green went 2-for-4.
Wade LeBlanc (2-4) took the loss for New Orleans allowing one earned run and five hits over six innings. Stephen Fife (4-4) tabbed the win for Albuquerque, holding the Zephyrs scoreless over six innings of work with five strikeouts.
New Orleans and Albuquerque will resume game three of the series Thursday at 7pm. Right-hander Tom Koehler will take the mound for the Zephyrs, and righty John Ely will be on the hill for the Isotopes.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 30, 2012
- Bass, RedHawks Stymie Sounds, 7-2 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Redbirds Rally by Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Blank Zephyrs 4-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Round Rock Express Clipped at Memphis 4-3 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Struggles against RedHawks Continue with 7-2 Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Hand Takes No-Hitter into Eighth - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Fife Flummoxes Z's in 4-0 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Cruises to 13-5 Win over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Roughed Up At Reno, 13-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Banwart Leads Sacramento over Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- Wednesday's Chasers and I-Cubs Game Postponed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Cubs Rained out in Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- River Cats Win Second-Straight against Grizzlies, 3-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs Add RHP Shane Lindsay - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Oswalt Scheduled to Start for Express Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Chasers and Budweiser of Omaha Team up for Children of Fallen and Disabled Soldiers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Win Rain-Shortened Game, 2-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Padres' Rally Catches Las Vegas in Sixth - Tucson Padres
- Aces Take Opener over Tacoma, 7-5 - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Taken Down By Reno, 7-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Hicks' Walk-Off Home Run Lifts River Cats Past Grizzlies, 4-2 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.