Herrera Ties Hit Streak Record in Doubleheader SplitMay 30, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Already trailing when the first game resumed in the fifth inning, Myrtle Beach allowed Potomac to score two more runs in the fifth and seventh innings respectively. Randol Rojas allowed the first run in two innings of relief work Rojas spelled Roman Mendez, who started the game Tuesday. Jose Monegro allowed the second of the pair, an RBI single from MLB rehabber Michael Morse. The outing was Monegro's Pelicans debut. The righty went two, allowing a run on two hits while striking out one.
The Pelicans did put three runs up after the resumption. Jared Hoying homered for the fourth time to make it 4-1 in the sixth. Josh Richmond doubled, stole third and scored on an Odubel Herrera groundout in the eighth to make it 5-2. Christian Villanueva doubled in the ninth and scored on a groundout by Jake Skole for the 5-3 final.
The second game got off to a record tying start for the Pelicans. Herrera led off in the first inning with a single to leftfield. The hit extended his hitting streak to a team record 20 consecutive games. Herrera ties JC Holt, who also hit in 20 straight in 2006. With a hit Thursday Herrera will hold the Myrtle Beach hit streak record to himself.
Despite the landmark hit in the first, Herrera did not score. The game's lone run waited until the fourth, when Villanueva came in on a single from Santiago Chirino.
The run provided all the support starter Nick Tepesch needed. The righty went five and two thirds shutout, scattering eight hits and striking out six. He allowed two of those eight hits to Morse.
The Pelicans, now 25-24, try to take three of four from Potomac with Kyle Hendricks on the mound Thursday. First pitch is at 7:05 with a 6:50 pregame on FOX Sports 1050 AM and 101.9 FM, as well as online at MyrtleBeachPelicans.com.
Carolina League Stories from May 30, 2012
- Miscues & Double Plays Let Down Blue Rocks - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Morse Goes 3-For-6 as P-Nats Split with Pelicans - Potomac Nationals
- Salem Dominates Lynchburg, Sweeps Doubleheader - Salem Red Sox
- Salem Clicks in Sweep of Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Long Ball Powers Dash to Series Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Herrera Ties Hit Streak Record in Doubleheader Split - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Frederick Just Comes up Short - Frederick Keys
- Mudcats Swim Past Error-Prone Blue Rocks - Carolina Mudcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Mudcats Game Notes - May 30 - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.