Miners Lose Despite Late ComebackMay 23, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Southern Illinois Miners
The Miners had three base runners on all game prior to the eighth inning: a leadoff walk by Darian Sandford in the top of the first and Sean Harrell in the top of the sixth. Sean Coughlin got on base via a walk with two outs in the top of the seventh.
After Sean Harrell struck out to start the top of the eighth, Jason Ganek pinch hit and put a ball in play that landed him at second base with a throwing error by Jon Karcich. Next up was Sean Wilson who also pinch hit and got the Miners first hit of the game and first RBI.
Starter Dave Harden got roughed up through five innings of work today. He allowed six hits, gave up five runs, four earned and struck out five. He allowed two runs in the first inning; a two run single by Frank Martinez. After a 1-2-3 bottom of the second, Harden gave up three runs in the bottom of the third; a RBI single by Martinez and a two out single by Nick Schwaner.
With the Miners down 5-1 in the top of the ninth, reliever Eric Massingham came into the game. Chad Maddox got on second to lead off the inning, and then Matt Fields brought him in via a RBI double. Leading 5-2, Sean Coughlin hit a base hit to move Fields over to third. A sacrifice fly by Carlos Mendez made it 5-3 bringing the Miners within two. Up next was Sean Harrell who brought in Coughlin all the way from first to bring the Miners within one. Jason Ganek and Sean Wilson but flew out to end the game.
The Miners have an off day tomorrow then head to Normal on Friday to face the CornBusters in a three game set. First pitch for Friday's game will be at 6:30. Mike Ventola will have all the pregame action at 6:10 on the Miners Radio Network.
Frontier League Stories from May 23, 2012
- ThunderBolts Triumph in Extras Again - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Drop Second Straight Extra-Inning Affair - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Rally Again; Improve to 4-1 - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Defeat Grizzlies in High-Scoring Affair - Gateway Grizzlies
- Fagan tosses seven scoreless innings in 1-0 win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Crushers Nip CornBelters in Arms Duel - Normal CornBelters
- Two Grand Slams Lead Wild Things to Victory over Grizzlies, 12-7 - Washington Wild Things
- Florence Pounds RiverHawks, 12-4 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Lose Despite Late Comeback - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville Otters Win 700th Game, Most in Frontier League History - Evansville Otters
- Florence pounds RiverHawks, 12-4 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Bums' Long Balls Fuel Comeback - Joliet Slammers
- Normal CornBelters Cancer Survivors Night Sunday, May 27 - Normal CornBelters
- May 23 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.