Heston Waves Wand and Skid Ends for Squirrels, 3-1May 22, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Richmond Flying Squirrels
For the second straight night, the Squirrels got out to a fast start in the first inning. Gary Brown led off against Bowie right-hander Oliver Drake and sent a routine groundball to the shortstop Manny Machado. Machado fumbled the ball, allowing Brown to reach. Ryan Cavan immediately made the error sting, doubling down the left-field line to plate Brown for a 1-0 lead. Daniel Mayora followed with a single and Chris Dominguez grounded out to bring in Cavan for a 2-0 advantage. One of the two runs charged to Drake was unearned due to the Machado error.
The Baysox cut the Squirrels lead in half in the second with their own unearned run against Heston. Machado singled on the infield with one out. Heston struck out Caleb Joseph for the second out and then fanned Zelous Wheeler. However, strike three eluded Richmond catcher Johnny Monell to the backstop. The passed ball allowed Wheeler to reach and Machado take third base. Kipp Schutz followed and cracked a single into center field. Machado scored the unearned run, bringing Bowie to within a run, 2-1.
Richmond got the run back in the fourth with a quick two-out uprising against Drake. Ehire Adrianza got it started with a single back through the middle. He promptly stole second and scored for a 3-1 cushion when Joel Weeks sent a carbon-copy single to center.
Drake (0-1) called it a night after six innings, having conceded three runs - two earned - on five hits. He walked one, struck out six and took the loss despite turning in a quality-start.
Heston (4-2) allowed one run - unearned - over eight innings. He conceded six hits, all singles, walked none and matched his career-high with nine strikeouts.
Right-hander Brett Bochy nailed down the win and earned his fifth save with a perfect ninth. The Bowie bullpen turned in three scoreless innings in defeat.
Game three of the four-game series is scheduled for 7:05 PM on Tuesday night at Prince George's Stadium. Richmond LHP Mike Kickham (2-4, 4.04) will make the start against Bowie RHP Zach Clark (3-3, 3.55). Pregame coverage will begin at 6:35 PM on Sports Radio 910 and SportsRadio910.com.
Eastern League Stories from May 22, 2012
- Nuno Solid in Debut as Thunder Sneak by Aeros - Trenton Thunder
- Plagman Cycles for the Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Fall in Trenton - Akron Aeros
- Heston Waves Wand and Skid Ends for Squirrels, 3-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sox Offense Sputters against Squirrels - Bowie Baysox
- Seventh Inning Dooms B-Mets in 3-0 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Rock Cats Blank B-Mets, 3-0 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Rain Postpones Tuesday Night for Curve, Sens - Altoona Curve
- Senators and Altoona Curve Postponed - Harrisburg Senators
- Orioles' Brian Roberts Comes to Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Postponed on Tuesday against Sea Dogs - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Tuesday's Sea Dogs Postponed Due to Rain - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Reading Phillies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- B-Mets Game Notes: at New Britain Rock Cats - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Jake Arrieta Bobblehead Coming to Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Slugger Competing for "Best Mascot in Minor League Baseball" - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Want to See Pink in the Park - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.