TinCaps Winning Streak Ends in 5-1 LossMay 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Lansing (28-12) starter Noah Syndergaard pitched four innings and surrendered only a walk while striking out three. Against the Texan righthander, Fort Wayne (19-22) had just two men reach base. Travis Whitmore got aboard on a Syndergaard error in the second inning and Tyler Stubblefield walked to lead off the fourth.
Cody Hebner started for Fort Wayne and twirled five scoreless innings to begin his night. He faced trouble in the sixth, allowing a run on a sacrifice double play off the bat of Andrew Burns. Burns flied the ball to center with one out, Jonathon Berti on third and Kenny Wilson on second. Berti tagged and scored after Kyung Min-Na made the catch, and the throw came in to third base. Wilson was caught in between second and third and was eventually tagged out by Duanel Jones to end the inning.
Fort Wayne's offensive struggles continued into the fifth and sixth as reliever Anthony DeSclafani struck out the side in both frames. In the seventh, Donavan Tate tallied the first single of the game for the TinCaps off of DeSclafani. Whitmore followed with a single to right-center, moving Tate to third. Jones came up next and hit a sacrifice fly to center field, making it 1-1. The TinCaps would not score again.
Hancock's two-inning outing began in the seventh as he gave up a home run to leadoff hitter K.C. Hobson. Leading 2-1, Lansing continued to attack with a triple from catcher Carlos Perez. Kevin Pillar walked, and Kevin Patterson then grounded out, scoring Perez from third and making it 3-1 Lugnuts. Kellen Sweeney singled later in the inning to score Markus Brisker and give Lansing a 4-1 lead. The home team tacked on one more run in the eighth against Hancock (0-3) to make it 5-1.
Hancock allowed four runs in two innings, walked a season-high four batters and struck out two.
Lansing's Brandon Berl surrendered a single and two walks to Fort Wayne, loading the bases in the ninth, but the TinCaps did not score.
The rubber match of the three game set is scheduled for Friday night at 7:05. The scheduled starters are Frank Garces for Fort Wayne and David Rollins for Lansing.
Midwest League Stories from May 17, 2012
- Loons Washed over by Whitecaps, 6-3 - Great Lakes Loons
- Missed Opportunities Doom Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- Workman's walk-off wins it for Kernels, 7-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sale's Homer Too Much for Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Winning Streak Ends in 5-1 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sale, Strong Relief Send Hot Rods to Fourth Straight Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees sting Rattlers with 7 two-out runs in 8-3 win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Francescon Deals Chiefs to Another Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Fall in Extras to Kernels - Kane County Cougars
- DeSclafani, Syndergaard shine in 5-1 Lugs win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Activate Jacob Johnson for Tonight's Game - Dayton Dragons
- River Bandits Drop Fourth Straight in 7-3 Loss at Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Koch Does It Again: Snappers Win 7-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Hal McCoy to Appear on Dragons TV Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Green, Hawks Outduel Captains to Even Series - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Captains Drop Pitcher's Duel 2-1 - Lake County Captains
- Bees Still Looking for Weiner Dog Race Participants - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Gameday for May 17 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.