Chiefs Lose 6-5 ThursdayMay 10, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Peoria Chiefs
The Snappers wasted no time getting on the board, jumping on starter Gerardo Concepcion in the first inning. JD Williams walked to start the game and AJ Pettersen singled to left. With runners on the corners and one out, Eddie Rosario smacked a grounder up the middle that shortstop Marco Hernandez couldn't handle allowing Williams to score and Adam Pettersen to advance to third, making it 1-0. With runners on the corners once again, Rosario was thrown out trying to steal second but on the throw Pettersen trotted home to give Beloit an early 2-0 lead.
Beloit used the long ball to extend their lead in the top of the fifth. After a leadoff infield single by Pettersen, Willengton Cruz retired Miguel Sano before surrendering a two-run homer over the elevated wall in right to Rosario as Beloit took a 4-0 lead.
The Chiefs got on the board in the bottom half of the fifth. Leadoff hitter Zeke DeVoss was hit by a pitch and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Taiwan Easterling moved him over to third with a towering flyout to center. Rafael Lopez jumped on the first pitch he saw and roped a one out RBI double to left center plating DeVoss and cutting the lead to 4-1. The Chiefs didn't stop there as an out later, Ryan Cuneo laced a grounder to second that Pettersen was unable to handle as Lopez came around on the error to make it 4-2.
Peoria continued to crawl their way back in the sixth. Oliver Zapata led off with a bunt single and Marco Hernandez followed with a double into shallow right field to put both runners in scoring position. Pin-Chieh Chen bounced a grounder to first and Rory Rhodes bounced the throw home allowing Zapata and Hernandez to score and tying the game at 4-4. Chen moved to second on the play with nobody out but he was eventually picked off before the Chiefs could take the lead.
The Snappers re-claimed the lead in the top of the eighth. Jonathan Goncalves singled on a grounder past the diving glove of Brad Zapenas and stole second before advancing to third on a passed ball. Rhodes walked to put runners on the corners. After a strikeout of Matthew Koch, Rhodes swiped second putting both runners in scoring position. Ben Wells intentionally walked Tyler Grimes loading the bases for the leadoff hitter Williams. Williams hit a high chopper that first baseman Cuneo stretched up high for flipping the ball to pitcher Ben Wells to get the out at first, but not before Goncalves had crossed home plate giving Beloit a 5-4 lead.
In the ninth the Snappers added some insurance. After a Sano flyout, Rosario and Leachman strung together two straight singles. After a flyout, Rhodes sent an RBI single into left field as Rosario beat out a throw from Chen extending the Beloit lead to 6-4.
The Chiefs refused to lay down in the ninth. DeVoss and Easterling both singled to start the inning before Lopez laid down a sac bunt putting runners on second and third for Paul Hoilman. The first baseman, already with his 23 game hit streak locked down, hit a deep fly ball to right center that hung up long enough for Rosario to haul in, allowing DeVoss to trot home cutting the lead to 6-5. With a runner on third and two outs, reliever Clint Dempster came on and struck out Cuneo to end the game
Concepcion went four innings, surrendering two runs, only one earned, on two hits while walking five and striking out one. Cruz replaced Concepcion to start the fifth, throwing one inning, allowing two hits, one walk and two runs, both coming on the homerun. Wells (2-2) returned from the DL in the sixth, hurling the final four innings, allowing two runs on five hits, walking two and striking out three.
Casey's General Store Player of the Game - Rafael Lopez (C) - The backstop finished 2-for-3 with a RBI in the losing effort Thursday night. Lopez's RBI came on a double in the fifth to go along with a sacrifice bunt in the bottom of the ninth and a single in the first.
Midwest League Stories from May 10, 2012
- Chiefs Lose 6-5 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits blast two homers to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Fort Wayne Loses 3-2 to South Bend - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts romp, 13-5, over Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- Calixte Slams Cougars to Victory - Kane County Cougars
- Goeddel Doubles Home Two in Defeat - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Inciarte Delivers Again, Hawks Down TinCaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lake County Arms Hold Dragons Down - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Win Pitcher's Duel 2-1 - Lake County Captains
- Lansing Lugnuts Announce Roster Moves - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Win Again - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels fall to Burlington, 8-6 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Move Precedes Tonight's Game - Kane County Cougars
- Bees Beat Kernels in Front of Big Crowd, 8-6 - Burlington Bees
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to Let Fans Run the Show on June 25 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Rivero Named Rays April Pitcher of the Month - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for May 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.