Portillo Leads Fort Wayne to 5-2 WinMay 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Portillo (2-1) did not surrender a base hit until the seventh inning, when Matt Helm flied a double over the head of TinCaps center fielder Kyung-Min Na. The 20-year-old Portillo walked two and struck out six, going seven innings for the second consecutive outing. Over his last two starts, Portillo has worked 14 innings, allowed three hits, no runs, walked three and struck out 12. His 38 strikeouts on the season are a team high, and tie him for third most in the Midwest League. His season ERA fell from 1.72 to 1.41 on Wednesday.
The Fort Wayne (15-18) offense scored first on a double play groundout by Mike Gallic in the second inning, making it 1-0. Four more runs scored in the fifth inning as the TinCaps sent nine men to the plate, and knocked South Bend starter Jeff Shields (0-4) out of the game. Na drew a bases loaded walk, Casey McElroy drove home Clark Murphy, and Travis Whitmore plated two runs with single to left, making it 5-0 TinCaps.
South Bend (18-15) pushed two runs across in the eighth inning against Luis De La Cruz, who worked one inning in relief of Portillo. Daniel Cropper worked a scoreless ninth or his second save of the season.
Fort Wayne has now won five out of its last six ballgames, and will look for a series victory against South Bend.
Game two of the three-game set takes place on Thursday night at Parkview Field. The scheduled starters are Joe Ross for Fort Wayne and John Pedrotty for South Bend. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
Midwest League Stories from May 9, 2012
- Timber Rattlers Come Back to Bite River Bandits - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Win Pitchers' Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Wisconsin pounds out a win over Quad Cities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Doomed from Start vs. Kernels, 14-2 - Burlington Bees
- Kernels blast Bees, 14-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoilman Breaks Hit Streak Record, Chiefs Lose 2-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Lugs ride Walden, end losing streak - Lansing Lugnuts
- Sale Drives Home First Run But Hot Rods Fall in Lansing - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Rally to Beat LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Colon Dazzles the Dragons, Captains Defeat Dayton 4-1 - Lake County Captains
- Colon, Lake County Top Dragons 4-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes for May 12-15 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Garrido Receives First Promotion of Season - Kane County Cougars
- Final Scheduled High School Game at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Portillo Leads Fort Wayne to 5-2 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hawks Held Hitless into Seventh, Fall 5-2 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for May 9 - Dayton Dragons
- Cuevas, Loons Take Game, Series from SB - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Split Marathon Doubleheader with Fort Wayne - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.