Sharks' Holman Named JLS Ironman of the WeekMay 1, 2012 - Arena Football League (AFL) Jacksonville Sharks
Holman started last Saturday's game against the Spokane Shock at nose guard, but when starting fullback Ailao Eliapo was injured in the first quarter, Holman stepped in at that position as well and played on both sides of the ball for the rest of the game. At fullback, Holman finished with two carries for five yards and helped block for an offense that recorded a season-high total of 365 yards.
Often referred to as the Sharks' most versatile player by head coach Les Moss, Holman has started each of Jacksonville's first six games at three different positions. He opened the season at defensive end and then made one start at nose guard before starting three consecutive games at fullback.
Holman is no stranger to playing a versatile role. In 2011, he made eight starts at nose guard, seven starts at defensive end and one start each at fullback and offensive guard. On June 18, he started at both nose guard and fullback against the Milwaukee Mustangs. Then, in the American Conference Championship Game against Georgia, Holman filled in for an injured Randy Degg at center, playing a vital role as the Sharks clinched a berth in ArenaBowl XXIV.
Holman recorded 17 total tackles, eight tackles for loss and six sacks during the 2011 season, his first in Jacksonville. The 29-year-old native of Midlothian, Virginia played collegiate football at Winston-Salem State.
Taking Holman's award into account, the Sharks have had a player earn a weekly league honor after each of the team's last four names. Wide receiver Terrance Smith was named AFL Playmaker of the Week for Week 4 and Week 6 (the team had a bye in Week 5). Smith then earned the Spalding Highlight of the Week following Week 7.
The Jacksonville Sharks are members of the Arena Football League (AFL). The ArenaBowl XXIV and back-to-back South Division Champions are presented by Sea Best Seafood and play all home games on Sea Best Field at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena. Season Tickets for the 2012 season are now available, two tickets as low as $99. To reserve your season tickets or for more information, please call (904) 621-0700. Follow the Sharks on facebook at facebook.com/jaxsharks and on Twitter @jaxsharks, as well as the Attack Dance Team at facebook.com/sharkattackdance.
Arena Football League Stories from May 1, 2012
- 05.01.12 Blaze Assigned Former Shock WR Kauleinamoku - Utah Blaze
- Blaze Face Heated Division-Rival at Home - Utah Blaze
- Philadelphia Continues to Pick up Record Pace - Philadelphia Soul
- Predators' Bobby Sippio Named AFL Russell Athletic Offensive Player - Orlando Predators
- SaberCats Defensive Lineman Joe Sykes Named Riddell Defensive Player of the Week - San Jose SaberCats
- VooDoo Dolls Ayesha, Brittney L., Daina, and Keina Visit Tulane Hospital for Children - New Orleans VooDoo
- Sharks' Holman Named JLS Ironman of the Week - Jacksonville Sharks
- SaberCats Weekly Update - San Jose SaberCats
- Sippio, Sykes and Holman Earn Week 8 Honors - AFL
- AFL Week 9 Power Rankings Announced - AFL
- Earnest Graham and Tampa Bay Storm Assistant Coach Dave Wilson to Coach Badge Bowl - Tampa Bay Storm
- Command Fail to Weather Storm, Fall to Tampa Bay 63-46 - Kansas City Command
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.