Braves Slip Past Knights 5-4 on TuesdayApril 24, 2012 - International League (IL) Charlotte Knights
Atlanta Braves starter Tim Hudson was solid in his final scheduled rehab start and the Braves snapped the Knights two-game win streak with a 5-4 win in game one of the three-game series from Coolray Field on Tuesday. The teams are now 2-2 against each other this season.
Hudson (2-0, 0.84) was long gone, however, when the Knights attempted their comeback. Down 5-1 in the ninth, the team staged a rally. With one out in the inning, Jim Gallagher and Conor Jackson drew back-to-back walks. Dan Johnson, who had a hit earlier in the game, singled to load the bases for the Knights.
Hector Gimenez then stepped to the plate and singled up the middle - driving home both Gallagher and Jackson. The two-run single by Gimenez pulled the Knights within two runs of the Braves 5-3.
After Josh Phegley flied out to right field, the Braves made a call to the bullpen. Enter Dusty Hughes.
Hughes took the mound and would have trouble with the first two batters he faced - but was not helped out by his defense either. Jordan Danks, the first batter to face Hughes, hit a ball to second baseman Drew Sutton, which could have ended the game. Sutton, however, made an errant throw to first base, which resulted in Danks being safe at first. Johnson, who was on third base, scored to make it a one run game (5-4).
Although the next batter (Greg Golson) would draw a walk, Hughes finally put an end to the inning and game - getting Ozzie Martinez to ground into a force out to end the opener.
Knights starter Charlie Leesman (1-2, 3.98) allowed one earned run over six innings and was saddled with the loss. Leesman gave up six hits and two walks. He also struck-out four batters.
Reiever Gregory Infante, who was activated off the disabled list earlier in the day, made his 2012 season debut. He allowed one hit over a shutout inning.
Josh Phegley went 1-5 with a triple for the Knights and extended his hit-streak to eight games.
The two teams will face each other in the middle game of the series on Wednesday from Coolray Field. RHP Terry Doyle (0-1, 4.96) will start for Charlotte, while RHP Eric Junge (2-1, 4.50) will go for Gwinnett. First pitch in Lawrenceville, GA is set for 7:05 p.m. on Wednesday.
International League Stories from April 24, 2012
- Hudson Wins Again as G-Braves Clip Charlotte - Gwinnett Braves
- Indians Beat out Bats 5-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Norfolk Prevails over Durham 8-5 - Norfolk Tides
- Braves Slip Past Knights 5-4 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Yankees Four Game Winning Streak Comes to an End - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- PawSox on Cloud 9 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Sign OF Dustin Martin, Assign to Bisons Roster - Buffalo Bisons
- Gearrin Gets the Call to Atlanta - Gwinnett Braves
- Rochester Red Wings Place Infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka on 7-Day Disabled List - Rochester Red Wings
- Mets Recall INF Zach Lutz from Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Chiefs, Red Wings Postponed on Tuesday - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tonight's Rochester Red Wings Game Postponed Due to Rain - Rochester Red Wings
- Corey Smith's Red Clay Jamboree Coming to Coolray Field on July 14 - Gwinnett Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.